Screenshot_20240925-180236-625.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240925-180205-030.png
    Screenshot_20240925-180205-030.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 35

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is a consideration for you, but if the ewe is still malnourished when she lambs, you might want to pull that baby and bottle feed it. That would solve two problems, assuming it’s alive when you find it: you could keep it warm in the house, and it will be easier for the ewe to regain body condition when she’s neither pregnant nor nursing.

koalabear

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Of course, we all hope that she’s less pregnant than that and can lamb later closer to spring and that your good care will have more time to get her back healthy. Rooting for a great outcome for you!
I don't know...she's been panting, sticking back legs out when laying down and nibbling or licking her stomach both laying down and standing up. What is that?? Just digestion problems?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know...she's been panting, sticking back legs out when laying down and nibbling or licking her stomach both laying down and standing up. What is that?? Just digestion problems?
No idea on that one. Perhaps someone will have an idea. As for lambing -- not happening any time soon based on the size of her bag (unlike say dogs who will do similar behaviors prior to whelping pups).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@fuzzi and @koalabear ... please go to your name top right... down to account details, and down to location and put in a general location which will show up in your avatar everytime you post. It helps when asking for advice, feed or hay situations, temps, everything... for people to help you. You can see many put in something like the southern part of xxx state, more detailed if you want. But things like advice on temperature care like you are asking, different types of hay, even worm loads and types.
I am in Va... have NO experience with things like Bermuda or Bahia grass/hay... southerners have no experience with things like orchard grass... timothy is a northern grass/hay crop... if it is just a once in a lifetime cold like @Baymule had that winter.. or howling windy bitter cold like can occur on the flat plains... or damp bone chilly weather with rain.... or temperate dry weather in Ca.... help can be better tailored to the area/weather you commonly have.... And for those of us :old:old:old:old:old just putting it in your post... most won't remember and it is too much of a pain to go back and try to find it when trying to offer help.

It sounds to me that the ewe you got, may have worms... and you feeding it better feed may have caused what is called a bloom... and the better feed may be causing it to have stomach problems... kinda like colic in a horse for lack of better way for me to describe it. Too much rich food, as you are trying to improve it's nutrition...
Without a fecal done on the manure, it is hard to guess.

If an animal comes from a place where nutrition is poor.... the first thing to do is to let the animal have FREE CHOICE HAY... NOT rich alfalfa... a good decent grass hay... get their guts filled up with bulky hay... gets their gut bacteria to start working..... gets them chewing their cuds, ruminating... give a LITTLE bit of grain.... and this for at least 1-2 weeks.... worm them and keep them drylotted so they can't start to fill up on grass or grazing.... and then go slowly forward from there.

Honestly, pregnancy is the least of your worries... getting her digestive system working properly is first.... since you said she was just dewormed, some of the stomach problems may be that she had a heavy worm load, and if they all die off at the same time in their gut tract, it can actually poison her system.... that could be the problem with her "tummy ache".... hoping she passes some manure and any dead worms and such, quickly....
then get her on a hay only ration for a few days.....with a little handful of grain once or twice a day.....

koalabear

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@fuzzi and @koalabear ... please go to your name top right... down to account details, and down to location and put in a general location which will show up in your avatar everytime you post. It helps when asking for advice, feed or hay situations, temps, everything... for people to help you. You can see many put in something like the southern part of xxx state, more detailed if you want. But things like advice on temperature care like you are asking, different types of hay, even worm loads and types.
I am in Va... have NO experience with things like Bermuda or Bahia grass/hay... southerners have no experience with things like orchard grass... timothy is a northern grass/hay crop... if it is just a once in a lifetime cold like @Baymule had that winter.. or howling windy bitter cold like can occur on the flat plains... or damp bone chilly weather with rain.... or temperate dry weather in Ca.... help can be better tailored to the area/weather you commonly have.... And for those of us :old:old:old:old:old just putting it in your post... most won't remember and it is too much of a pain to go back and try to find it when trying to offer help.

It sounds to me that the ewe you got, may have worms... and you feeding it better feed may have caused what is called a bloom... and the better feed may be causing it to have stomach problems... kinda like colic in a horse for lack of better way for me to describe it. Too much rich food, as you are trying to improve it's nutrition...
Without a fecal done on the manure, it is hard to guess.

If an animal comes from a place where nutrition is poor.... the first thing to do is to let the animal have FREE CHOICE HAY... NOT rich alfalfa... a good decent grass hay... get their guts filled up with bulky hay... gets their gut bacteria to start working..... gets them chewing their cuds, ruminating... give a LITTLE bit of grain.... and this for at least 1-2 weeks.... worm them and keep them drylotted so they can't start to fill up on grass or grazing.... and then go slowly forward from there.

Honestly, pregnancy is the least of your worries... getting her digestive system working properly is first.... since you said she was just dewormed, some of the stomach problems may be that she had a heavy worm load, and if they all die off at the same time in their gut tract, it can actually poison her system.... that could be the problem with her "tummy ache".... hoping she passes some manure and any dead worms and such, quickly....
then get her on a hay only ration for a few days.....with a little handful of grain once or twice a day.....
Thank you for your input. I added my location, but I doubt it would help you guys answer anyways 😃