Just a thought, please read if you're discouraged!

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
While reading the forum, I thought that most every post is when there's a problem. Don't be discouraged or think that something WILL go wrong. Be prepared, but don't be sure. I've had 4 litters and two losses that were my stupidity. My bunnies tend to do well without my intervention.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good point. I was so discouraged at one time, I gave up all together. Now that I've gotten a little experience, it isn't as hard as I was making it out to be.

Given the proper housing, feed, & nesting box, and some time, those bunnies will breed like crazy.

Most of my problems before were due to being impatient or cutting corners. Both my problems not the bunnies.

chicksandrabbitsohmy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's frustrating, but we also did so much reading before hand..I know there's actually a pretty high mortality rate, so that helps soften the blow!

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
chicksandrabbitsohmy said:
It's frustrating, but we also did so much reading before hand..I know there's actually a pretty high mortality rate, so that helps soften the blow!
A high mortality rate, but they can be bred every 30 days. It's not like we have to wait a year for one baby like we do with the alpacas!

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I find the high mortality rate is generally first timers. It is unusual for one of my does to lose a kit unless it is born dead. Give them their nest box several days in advance and materials (I use hay) to make a good nest. Then don't mess with them other than to feed until the kits are born.

chicksandrabbitsohmy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok..so how about the doe using the nesting box as a litter box? Then what? Change it every day till she kindles?

Cuttlefishherder

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Very true, I kept thinking of every possible horrible thing that could have possibly happened with our pregnant doe! I was worried about every thing! But now we have calmed down, now we are more comfortable with just letting things happen!

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
litterbox/ nest box. Sorry yeah the only solution is to clean it daily til she kindles. If she poops in with the babies I wouldn't use that rabbit in my breeding program .I've had to cull for that reason once.

chicksandrabbitsohmy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
PattySh said:
litterbox/ nest box. Sorry yeah the only solution is to clean it daily til she kindles. If she poops in with the babies I wouldn't use that rabbit in my breeding program .I've had to cull for that reason once.
Really! Wow...Ok..hhmm...gonna have to be on that...Thanks!

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well you did ask! What you might try is giving that doe a corner potty box such as you might use for ferrets. After she starts using that then you might be able to safely put in a nest box. Pooping in a nestbox IS a hard habit to break. I think some of the reason they poop on a surface is that the nature of our cages makes all the poop fall thru. Rabbits are supposed to eat their first poop and then poop again firmer stools. They digest the food twice to get the nutrition they need. Gross but nature.