LaMancha crosses....what happens with the ears?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
a lot of them had the the things that hang down under their neck on both sides. what does that mean?
Those are wattles, some dairy goats have them, some don't.
I've yet to see a Nubian with them (but suppose it's possible), it's usually the Swiss.

There's tons of articles out there on wattles and genetics...personally I don't like them, but they're harmless.

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wattles really have no purpose. I think they're cute!

Earless or not, after a while you'll love them no matter what Free, you know you will! LOL.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our twin does that we just kided and sold had wattles. The one doe tried to nurse on the other's wattles. I had never seen them before, but a friend that has had goats for years said that some get them and some don't.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Oh, I'll love them.....but will I be able to sell the extras????

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That is always the tough part, deciding on a goat breed that will sell. That was one of the reasons I went with Nigerians. They are a big seller around here because you can find very colorful ones and they are small like the pygmies. I have decided to get a couple of Nubians next year but once again, Nubians are very popular around here. In my area, the LaManchas are not popular.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i'll be finding out soon enough - my lamancha doe is headed over for love with our neighbor's boer buck!

i had two mini-manchas (lamancha x nigi) and the two sisters i got one had the lamancha elf ears and the other had nigi regular old ear ears.... i ended up selling the more nigi gal and kept the lamancha gal - we just love their personalities.

free - its weird that the lamanchas arent popular there! wow my gal outmilked my saanan every day, is really efficient with her feed, likes to graze, and like i said - we love their personalities.. humm... maybe you could start a revolution?

the only drawback is that everyone always asks me why i let them get frostbite so bad that their ears fell off
:-(

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's what happens:

745_10178076.jpg

Airplane ears.

:gig :lol:

(...I crack myself up...I really do... :D )

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out how to get that picture to work....I even tried copying the link, wouldn't work, and typing it in letter by letter, couldn't get that to work, either. Now my curiosity is killing me!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, all I get is the little annoying "x" in the upper left hand corner. :(

Latest posts