Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I tossed the head down into the lower field area but MIL thinks I should have kept better track of there it ended up. I thought the venom would leave the head over time as the critters and bugs got at it, but MIL seems to think it would still be dangerous even after time passes. Anyone know if the head retains the venom after death?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
No idea how long the venom lasts. We toss both, sometimes bury the head, sometimes trash bin. Many of the times we've left it out on a rock for whoever - there's a few rocks we do this with with mice etc and things disappear quickly. Though not always true with the rattlers.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if it's legal to try to sell parts off it? Hubby is going to try to tan one of the skins but we've just been tossing the bodies for the scavengers.

I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Be your luck that it was some protected rare species and you just killed the last one!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The head continued to try to bite.
The heads are dangerous even after severed from the body. They continue to bite for hours and can continue to inject venom.
but MIL seems to think it would still be dangerous even after time passes. Anyone know if the head retains the venom after death?
The venom is in sacs located at the back of its jaws and is injected through the fangs by muscular contractions. If the head and poison sacs were still attached to each other then the head would continue to inject venom until the sacs were empty. Since the snake body is dead and separated from the head, it can't make any more venom to fill the sacs, but whatever was in the sacs or fangs would still be poisonous and able to be injected. To be safe, I think I would smash the head then put it in a trash can. The body without the head can be tossed out for scavengers.

No idea how long a time the venom remains deadly, but considering snake venom is collected by "milking" snakes and used to make anti-venom, it probably has a long shelf life. Venom is also a favorite murder weapon in some detective stories so I imagine it would retain its poisonous capabilities for some time.