Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man. I always knew I didn’t want to live anywhere near rattlesnake territory, but now you guys have really convinced me! 😵‍💫

Some places in Indiana do have them. I’m going to have to do my research before we decide which areas to look for our retirement property. 😬
It depends on where you are. My parent's property is also in the "rattlesnake zone" but they have only seen a snake a handful of times in the 30+ years at the property. It also probably is dependent on what kind of animal activity you have. My mom has an active large dog, who loves chasing the lizards who would probably normally be potential snake food.

The property I'm at now, I think there was 1-2 snakes the first year, zero the second, maybe 3? the third year, and now up to 9 so far this fourth year.

I found out the Cackle Hatchery has guineas all year! Shipped on Wednesdays. So I can get some once I have the rabbit barn set up with a brooder, and get an aviary set up too.

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, and my phone turned itself off shortly after my last post and refused to turn back on. Spent over 2 hours at the phone store after work and now I have a new phone. Still getting used to it.

The last rattlesnake was actually one of the biggest I've seen so far, and I found it just after hubby drove off for the day. I used the snake grabber tool to get it behind the head, made sure I was clamped tight, then shoveled it until the head was off. The head continued to try to bite.
I need a snake grabber tool. Well, maybe only for the Copperheads, I haven't seen any rattlers here. We get just about everything else. I've removed two or three rat snakes from the chicken area, by grabbing the tail.

The Copperheads get the long-handled pruners treatment.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the one I bought, definitely worth it and seems very sturdy. I need to post a review...

Screenshot_20240924_111117_Chrome.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've removed 2 rat snakes this yr, same day. About 7 footers. They aren't venomous but do have attitude issues! 😠. Dislike them a lot! No grabber but, a can of wasp spray & machete did the job. 👍👍

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
😱 Do they make one with a 10 foot pole?
Lol, I dunno if you'd be able to see what you're trying to grab at that distance. I was a little worried that it wouldn't be long enough when I ordered it, but it has worked out well.

The snake is either going to be coiled up, where they can (rattlesnakes) strike about 1/2 their length, or they are moving (usually away), so the length of the grabber hasn't been an issue. I didn't get a measuring device, but the snakes we've dealt with have been smallish, maybe 18 inches to 2 feet, except 2-3 that were probably 3 ish feet long.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the one I bought, definitely worth it and seems very sturdy. I need to post a review...

View attachment 111955
Same one here. Actually two - one at the house and one at the barn. Each with an accompanying shovel.
And there are times when I go straight to the shovel - for the smaller ones.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same one here. Actually two - one at the house and one at the barn. Each with an accompanying shovel.
And there are times when I go straight to the shovel - for the smaller ones.
I keep a shovel in the rabbit zone, and the grabber stays on a hook by the door so I take it with me when I need to go out to the rabbit zone and hang it up when I get back. I might order a second one for the barn when that gets built.