Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
:barnie The root cause of so many things! There's always "off grid" & totally living SS or do without. :hide
Ironic isn't it.so many talk about 'going OOOFFFF the grid" when so many others BTDT and want no more part of it.....
otg.jpg

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr @Latestarter,

I understand about the rain. I keep waiting for it to dry up enough so I can use the tractor with the grapple so I can remove all the brush and trees we have been cutting down, but it seems to rain every other day.

upload_2018-11-9_15-18-36.png

I wish we could send this rain to Miss @Ridgetop or Miss @babsbag, as they are now having to endure the Santa Ana winds and fire.

Senile Texas Aggie

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We would definitely take all that rain. Maybe it would put out the horrible fires that have started up again here. They were driven by 70mph winds AGAIN! The Santa Anas are horrible. We are lucky that they are blowing the fire and smoke away from us, but the winds last night took off most of our barn roof.
:barnie :he

Sometimes it feels like we are just going in circles! No trees down yet, but will have to repair the roof or completely re-roof probably. It is hardly any pitch so was a hot tar roof that was almost 30 years old. Not worth turning in to insurance since they will give us another bad checkmark and pro-rate it down to nothing anyway. DH and DS will check it tomorrow to see if there is enough pitch that we can just shingle it. I also have the roofer coming to give us a bid. Just under 1200sf of roof. Luckily the plywood sheeting under looks ok. Hopefully, we can get the new roof on cheaply before rains come - lambing ewes have to be housed in there by next Wednesday. I was hoping it would hold up until we sell and move. Hate to reroof it, then sell, and have it torn down for development. The winds have stopped for the time being but will probably return tonight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sun came out this afternoon!!!!! :weee:weee

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, but a freeze tonight. We are going to work outside tomorrow, rain comes back Sunday and Monday. Sunny Tuesday through Friday!! :clap:woot:celebrate

But it is going to be cold. Freezing temps at night, up to 40's maybe 50's during the day. LS can your son take a few more days off?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your forecast sounds mostly like ours here in Va. We had rain today, then cold but sunny for Sat and into Sun, then some more rain for Mon & Tues. But cold temps for here. Low 30's tonight, then cold and windy with the sun, maybe mid 40's, temps 10-20 below normal and a couple nights might get into the 20's. Normal here is low 50's and upper 30's.

Wish we could send some of our rain to Ca too. Heard on the news on the radio that one fire jumped the firebreak.... said there were alot of homes lost...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Son has to fly out Tuesday evening. Can't extend his visit. They have 4 kids and his wife is a school teacher. The youngest is only in preschool so he needs to get back. Today we went and restocked on goat pellets and hay. A dozen bags of feed and a dozen bales of hay. It's difficult to even walk in the goat pen as it's slick as snot, goat poop mud. The wind and cooler air helped dry it out some this afternoon and I hope it will continue overnight. I/we plan on spending all day tomorrow building.

Tonight my son wanted shepherd's pie so I made it with 50/50 sheep burger and hamburger. Real mashed potatoes with some mixed shredded cheddar sprinkled on top. It's delish!

Status
Not open for further replies.