Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
spanish goatee guy said:
southernOHIO 50 miles E of CINCY 30 FROM KY spanish goats, goats feed naturally on pasture wooded and fields , we run 30 we,ll expand to more in the next few years, our farm is 100acres and we do hay on several more , we watch for worms symptoms but try not too deworm unless absolutley necessary the goats have to develop some resistances . The strong ones will survive . the weak will go to freezer,. we are not a pet operation . the goats are black , cocoa , or chocolate. they grow cashmere coats in the fall and winter months, the mothers are outstanding and the kids are very quick when born , these goatsare more wild natured and have more wild tendencies. we have 2 gaurd dogs onsite , we love our goats but we want them to be true to their breed ,,tough,, creep feed kids KENT 18% MINERALS by KENT WE DONT FEED GRAIN , only pellet goat feed.
Please edit your post to include the following:

Do you feed hay? Will you be feeding hay in winter? What type?

Thanks! :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
theawesomefowl said:
I feel embarrassed reading this thread as my set up (so far) is so simple for my 5.5 month old wether goat...he gets free choice grasses, weeds, and browse of all kinds, along with the two lambs, plus access to salt at night, and a small amount of sheep concentrate. (very little) He has only been wormed once (with Safe-Guard) in his short life.
I gave them some garlic before, but couldn't get them to eat it! How do you get the goats (and sheep) to eat the garlic?
Please edit your post to include the following:

Be sure to include what state / country / region that you are in.

What brand of feed are you using?

Are you using hay? Will you be using hay? What type?

Thanks! :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
emily said:
Does ayone here use alfalfa cubes? Is it necessary to soak them or chop them up nice and fine?
I've never used the cubes - only the pellets and hay. It seems that I hear consistently that others have had issues with cubes and getting goats to eat them.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
emily said:
Does ayone here use alfalfa cubes? Is it necessary to soak them or chop them up nice and fine?
I've never used the cubes - only the pellets and hay. It seems that I hear consistently that others have had issues with cubes and getting goats to eat them.
Cubes are too hard for the goats to chew... even if you are able to flake them apart.... and flaking them apart shreds your fingers... not fun.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Located in SE CT. We have 4 does: 2 Oberhaslis, 1 Ober/Togg, 1 Lamancha. 3 of the 4 are in milk, and we will keep them in milk until about 2 months before kidding.

Purina Goat Chow - 1.5 qts (about 2 lbs) twice a day when milked. The dry doe is getting about 1 qt twice a day to improve her conditioning, but hoping to cut back some.
Purina Goat minerals free choice and baking soda free choice.
Local grass hay (1st cut - they didn't like 2nd cut) free choice.
Hay consumption has increased as browse availability has gone down with the weather. I am hoping to fence in more browse this weekend.
Molly's herbal wormers

We tried flax seed, however, the goats managed to sift it out of the feed and leave it in the bucket if it didn't stick to the feed. We stopped because I wasn't really sure why they need it. With our horses, we feed flax because it has a noticable effect on their coats, but I didn't see that there a deficiency that needed to be corrected for the goats.

Since we have had goats less than 2 months, we haven't done any seasonal changes.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We were told, the only real reason to invest in the extra expense of feeding flaxseed, was to improve the qualilty of their coat for showing the goats. So we haven't tried it. I was thinking about adding it to a couple of our new goats feed. But it doesn't sound like they like it very much.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think my goats are deprived. :lol:

Northeast Pennsylvania

4 goats, 1 nubian doe, 1 nubian/kikko doe, 1 very mixed up girl with a ND/Alpine Momma and a Fainter/Angora Daddy, 1 Fainter Buck

My goats all get the same things to eat.

2 cups locally made goat sweetfeed :hide every morning. Not sure what all is in it, can't find the label from the last bag. Will edit this if I can remember next time I buy.

Grass hay, as much as they want

Free choice loose minerals

From spring through fall they get to browse in the woods and pasture on the pond bank at least a couple hours every day.

They are all locked in at night due to predators, and get hay to munch on when they go to bed. 2 of my does are pregnant, and I am still deciding what I will do as far as changes to this routine for the babies, but I doubt there will be any great big changes as this seems to be working fine for now.