Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Chicos Mama said:
I just saw that if im feeding Wet COBB, there should be no need for Goat Chow! That would save me lots of $$ seeing as they dont eat much of that anyways...they love the COBB!
Also, how many lbs is 1/4 of a scoop?

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
what is wet COBB? :hu
Corn, Oats, and Barley with molasses added.

Tractor supply calls it All Grain...

Some feed stores call it whole grain sweet feed.

others call it pro-grain mix.

When I moved to Texas, people looked at me funny when I asked for it and said, "Why would you feed that to an animal when you can feed them pellets?"

And I said, "Because I can see what is in their feed and add whatever else I want to add without you all sneaking fillers in there that I don't want or my animals don't need."

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
I was told sweet feed was not good for my goats especially my males? but it was in a pellet too, I feed them hay, goat pellet either commericial or noble. I thought about mixing my own but by the time I get all the stuff it is so expensive and my goat pellet is about 12 for a 50# bag but I only have 6 goats. I know when I get my dairy does I have to increase the calicium with alfalfa. I also mix chops with their pellets and loose mineral which I don't think they like at all. Is what I am doing ok. I noticed my boers horns need something is there a better mineral I can give them I get the goat mineral from TSC in that small yellow bag. and can someone post a pic of what fishtail is supposed to look like. PLEASE :fl

redtailgal

Reaction score
I have fed both pellets and goat sweet feed. My goats hold a better condition on the pellets, and strange as it sounds, their feet look better.

Hooves were dry and brittle on the sweetfeed (fed it for about 6 weeks).

I do not like the sweet feed for goats.

Now, on the other hand, I will not feed pellets to horses..........but thats a different thread!

G'night all.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
I was told sweet feed was not good for my goats especially my males? but it was in a pellet too, I feed them hay, goat pellet either commericial or noble. I thought about mixing my own but by the time I get all the stuff it is so expensive and my goat pellet is about 12 for a 50# bag but I only have 6 goats. I know when I get my dairy does I have to increase the calicium with alfalfa. I also mix chops with their pellets and loose mineral which I don't think they like at all. Is what I am doing ok. I noticed my boers horns need something is there a better mineral I can give them I get the goat mineral from TSC in that small yellow bag. and can someone post a pic of what fishtail is supposed to look like. PLEASE :fl
See this thread for a pic of fish tailing: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=123076#p123076

The Manna Pro Goat Mineral from TSC is fine. But you may still need to do a supplementation with Copasure too.
More information here: http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-copasure

Your feed sounds fine. I don't recommend sweet feed at all (that's my personal opinion).

Have you shared all of your information requested in the first post of this thread (location...etc...etc)?

autumnprairie

Reaction score
elevan said:
autumnprairie said:
See this thread for a pic of fish tailing: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=123076#p123076

The Manna Pro Goat Mineral from TSC is fine. But you may still need to do a supplementation with Copasure too.
More information here: http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-copasure

Your feed sounds fine. I don't recommend sweet feed at all (that's my personal opinion).

Have you shared all of your information requested in the first post of this thread (location...etc...etc)?
Thanks Em, reading up on the links and yes Maam I did. the very first time I posted here a couple of months ago.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Sweet feed (wet cob) alone is not a good sole feed for goats but there is NOTHING wrong with it when fed as part of a mix of other feeds.

There are other feeds that are called sweet feed that are pelleted. They are a mix of grains and fillers. I don't recommend those either as a sole feed for goats. Frankly, I think noble goat is a lot of fuss over nothing... I never waste my money on it.

I tried a trial for 6 months on a it with two of my goats versus my own mix with two others. I didn't see a single difference with my animals health OR milk production.

Goats need primarily hay and browse. Feed, whether it's grain, pellets, or whatever, is just a supplement to that.

To each his own.

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think I need a few more posts before I can upload pics. I'll give it a try then but my Internet speed is pretty bad. I've found that the girls like one of the trees in the Mimosa family, Leucanaia (sp?). It has a very high protein content. Belize Agri Officer told me that it is the main ingredient in commercial fish food. Can't store it ahead because the leaves are tiny and fall off within a couple of hours of cutting. But it makes a good snack for the rainy days when stuck in the goat house.

autumnprairie

Reaction score
verkagj said:
I think I need a few more posts before I can upload pics. I'll give it a try then but my Internet speed is pretty bad. I've found that the girls like one of the trees in the Mimosa family, Leucanaia (sp?). It has a very high protein content. Belize Agri Officer told me that it is the main ingredient in commercial fish food. Can't store it ahead because the leaves are tiny and fall off within a couple of hours of cutting. But it makes a good snack for the rainy days when stuck in the goat house.
I have mimosa here too and my goats love it too.

NannaSue

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi Queen Mum,
Thanks for the info. I do have a question though about the feed formula

"Take a whole grain like wet COB (corn, oats and barley with molasses), alfalfa pellets, some beet pellets, and black oil sunflower seed than to feed a stock goat mix to your sheep and your goats. Then you can give an individual goat mineral to your goats and sheep minerals to your sheep."
Are these pretty much equal portions? A dumb question now, why is it wet COB? I was sold 'sweet feed' that was horse feed at the local Tractor Supply store And the goats got diarrhea, so we stopped that and just stayed with the Palmer's feed. Also, to everyone in general, I keep seeing that people give greens, does that include cabbage, celery, lettuce, etc, like from a grocery? I've offered bites of cut up apple and no one will eat it. I was really surprised that some goats will eat bananas.
I am enjoying this forum and learning from everybody with more experience.
Thanks,
Sue