Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
That is what my vet said about copper. I am going to the county extension office when they open back up. I want to see what Arkansas stands on its own mineral content

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ID | USA... Duh :) | Don't know what region we live in

We bought our first two does, I call them my rescues. They have been with us for 3 months, when we bought Laylie, she had rough fur was skinny, and had a cold. I feed them lots of good quality stuff because they still need to get some fat on their bones :D They have gotten quite a lot more meat, but they still have to reach the healthy weight for their age and size. Now you get why I call them my rescue goats.

Does - I'm feeding Alfalfa Pellets from Standlee Hay Company. And Noble Goat Feed from Purina.
16 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1 pint of grain, and one handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. I leave out free choice minerals.

Bucks - I Have none

Kids - I Have none.

We give Ivermectin orally. They get vaccinated, and wormed routinely.

20 cups of alfalfa pellets, 2 pints of grain, and two handful of oats. Mixed together, given 2 times per day. - Winter
16 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1 pint of grain, and one handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. - Spring
12 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1/2 pints of grain, and 1/2 handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. - Summer
18 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1 and 1/2 pints of grain, and two handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. - Fall

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
emmadipstik said:

We bought our first two does, I call them my rescues. They have been with us for 3 months, when we bought Laylie, she had rough fur was skinny, and had a cold. I feed them lots of good quality stuff because they still need to get some fat on their bones :D They have gotten quite a lot more meat, but they still have to reach the healthy weight for their age and size. Now you get why I call them my rescue goats.

Does - I'm feeding Alfalfa Pellets from Standlee Hay Company. And Noble Goat Feed from Purina.
16 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1 pint of grain, and one handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. I leave out free choice minerals.

Bucks - I Have none

Kids - I Have none.

20 cups of alfalfa pellets, 2 pints of grain, and two handful of oats. Mixed together, given 2 times per day. - Winter
16 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1 pint of grain, and one handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. - Spring
12 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1/2 pints of grain, and 1/2 handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. - Summer
18 cups of alfalfa pellets, 1 and 1/2 pints of grain, and two handful of oats. Mixed together, given 1 time per day. - Fall
If all you have are does you can get goat chow and not noble goat, noble goat has AC in it for bucks .I have one other question how routinely are you worming your goats

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Where I live it is very hot.....
I own 2 Nigerian does one who is bred and one producing milk ....

Producing Milk Does = A quarter scoop of all natural balanced (minerals already in the feed) feed available all the time. They also get a handful or two of alfalfa
and good healthy treats plus grass to graze on and free feed hay.
Bred does = Will get an increase in feed and grass to graze on and free choice hay + healthy treats and a bit of alfalfa.
Does = a quarter scoop of feed and grass to graze on and free choice hay + healthy treats.

This is my basic feeding system... ( what ya'll think ??)

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
emmadipstik said:

Bucks - I Have none

Kids - I Have none.

If all you have are does you can get goat chow and not noble goat, noble goat has AC in it for bucks .I have one other question how routinely are you worming your goats
In the summer we worm monthly and every other month in the winter.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
That is what my vet said about copper. I am going to the county extension office when they open back up. I want to see what Arkansas stands on its own mineral content
Well, I would look into Copasure (Copper Wire Oxide Particles) regardless. There is promising research being done to suggest that it can help with barberpole worm issues.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
emmadipstik said:
autumnprairie said:
emmadipstik said:

Bucks - I Have none

Kids - I Have none.

In the summer we worm monthly and every other month in the winter.
I would respectfully suggest that you do some research on dewormer parasite resistance. You could be making your worms immune to your dewormers by using them so frequently. Which may not be a problem right now for you, but it can sneak up on you quickly.

You can find more information here: http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-parasite-mgmt

Nonees kids

Just born
Reaction score
North Georgia, I have 5 Nigerian Dwarfs. All about 6 years old. 2 wethers, 3 does, never bred.

Free choice Burmuda hay, year round
Southern States goat pellets, once or twice a week when I let them out so I can get them back in. A couple cups split between them all.
Pine tree cutting weekly
Fresh water daily
Free choice Southern States loose goat minerals
Feet trimmed every 2 months or as needed
I worm using the FAMANCHA method
It doesnt seem like a lot of care, but my goats look great and seem healthy. I bottle fed them all starting at about 5 days old using just plain whole cows milk from the store. I stopped giving them CDT shots about 2 years ago, but need to start that back up again. Maybe this spring. Am I a bad goatie momma?

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goats: Nubian, Toggenburg, and Lamancha

Short version:

Our hay is a clover / orchard grass / alfalfa mix
Our feed is a custom mix that we have mixed at a local mill.
Kent Goat Mineral - Available free.

Supplements:
BoSe
CDT
Omegablume
ShowBloom
Vitamin A/D
Vitamin B Complex
Wormer (Safe-guard and Valbazen)
Di-Methox

Chris