Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We have Nubian goats. I love the ears.

We are feeding a basic goat developer/finisher with 16% protein, 15.0 to 25.00 pmm copper and.30 ppm selenium.

The drug ingredient in Decoquinate 13.6G/Ton.

It costs us $23.50 per 100 lbs.

The girls get 2 cups am. and 2 cups pm. each.

The boys get 2 cups pm, and hay and brouse....

The minerals are Sweetlix, free choice, freshened up every other day....

I try to keep everything in the barn very clean, feeders, water bowls, etc. We pick up poops with a pooper scooper every day from the barn hay floor. I sprinkle Sweet PDZ on the floor as needed. It is completely cleaned out once a year, and lime sprinkled on the earth. I use a heavy fly knock down at the beginning of fly season on the walls, and that really seems to keep fly population down. Plus I have a heavy duty barn fan going all the time for ventilation in summertime. I also keep paper towels, wipes, etc. and try to keep spiderwebs knocked down. I keep rat poison out under a heavy raised wooden pallet that we stack the hay on and so far no problem with mice/rats.

Most of all, my husband and I are out there at least two or three times a day. At night after feeding they are turned loose in the barn and I sit down on a chair and they come to me for petting and quiet time before bed. I'm telling you, those goats love me.

My goats have a lot of pasture and wooded area to roam in, I think that helps have healthy animals.

We use electric fencing to keep them in. They don't seem to want to get off the ranch. They stay within sight of the goat barn and the house...

Just FYI...

DonnaBelle

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
Hi Everyone,

We have Nubian goats. I love the ears.

We are feeding a basic goat developer/finisher with 16% protein, 15.0 to 25.00 pmm copper and.30 ppm selenium.

The drug ingredient in Decoquinate 13.6G/Ton.

It costs us $23.50 per 100 lbs.

The girls get 2 cups am. and 2 cups pm. each.

The boys get 2 cups pm, and hay and brouse....

The minerals are Sweetlix, free choice, freshened up every other day....

I try to keep everything in the barn very clean, feeders, water bowls, etc. We pick up poops with a pooper scooper every day from the barn hay floor. I sprinkle Sweet PDZ on the floor as needed. It is completely cleaned out once a year, and lime sprinkled on the earth. I use a heavy fly knock down at the beginning of fly season on the walls, and that really seems to keep fly population down. Plus I have a heavy duty barn fan going all the time for ventilation in summertime. I also keep paper towels, wipes, etc. and try to keep spiderwebs knocked down. I keep rat poison out under a heavy raised wooden pallet that we stack the hay on and so far no problem with mice/rats.

Most of all, my husband and I are out there at least two or three times a day. At night after feeding they are turned loose in the barn and I sit down on a chair and they come to me for petting and quiet time before bed. I'm telling you, those goats love me.

My goats have a lot of pasture and wooded area to roam in, I think that helps have healthy animals.

We use electric fencing to keep them in. They don't seem to want to get off the ranch. They stay within sight of the goat barn and the house...

Just FYI...

DonnaBelle
where do you get your feed? I have been looking to change my feed for the main reason, I can'give it to my does after they kid if I want to drink their milk.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I have:

One Alpine doe
One Nubian/Oberhauslie/Alpine Doe
One Nubian/Oberhauslie/Alpine Buck
One Alpine/Oberhauslie Buck
One Dwarf Nigerian Doe
One Mini LaMancha Buck

The Bucks get:

Alfalfa hay every other day
free choice prairie hay
Chaff hay twice daily
1 cup of sweet whole grain daily with kelp mixed in
Free choice minerals

The does get:

alfalfa daily
free choice prairie hay
chaff hay twice daily
2 cups grain with kelp mixed in once a day
free choice minerals

They all get wormed when they need it. Fecals are run regularly.
They get a bolus of copper once a year
The girls get BoSe shots with gestational cycles
The boys get BoSe shots once a year prior to rut season.
They all get annual CD/T shots
The girls get oral CalMag post partum while lactating for about 5 days.

RamblingCowgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in NE Oklahoma

We have three LaMancha - LaMancha/Nubian.
They are milkers/pets, I plan to add reg goats for show. And maybe a bor doe for meat crosses
Right now they are in a pen that is close to an 1/8 acre. But will soon have 3-5 acers to roam.

We just changed our feed. Just trying things until we find what works. We are also fixing to move, so there will be little changes made here & there. Here is what we have got for now.

They get fed twice a day, about 1-1 1/2 cups each alfalfa pellets {16%} & 14% sweet feed {I thought it made the milk sweeter when I had goats befor}
Two are open & dry, one is bred for march. They get fed together for now, but that will change after Cookie kids.
The hay was not so good this year, but they get all they can eat.
They have a mineral block, and baking soda.
I plan to blouse copper as needed.
We are going to try a herbal wormer.

We got them alfalfa cubes as well, but they are having a hard time eating them...should we soak them, bust them into small pieces {fiance said they ate them when he did that}, or just let them have at it? :idunno They have only had them for two days so far. They also make smaller cubes, but it's only a 40lb bag...price for lb is about the same though. We mite try them next time.

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goats raised: Nubians, Alpines

Winter: Spring:
Alfalfa pellets: I fill their food buckets with 7 pounds two times a day.
Mineral block: available free choice to all
Goat Ration: 3 pounds, gets split between all.

Summer Fall:
Pasture
Alfalfa Hay: Free Choice
Alfalfa pellets:I fill their food buckets with 5 pounds two times a day.
Mineral block: available free choice to all
Goat Ration: 1 pound, gets split between all.

Our buck gets AC.

Supplements:
Mineral Block: 24/7 to all goats.
Ammonium Chloride (A.C.): Added to minerals
Vitamin A & D: All goats / Fall of every year

Treats:
Pine Needles
Oats

We worm monthly in the summer, and every other month in the winter. We only use the same wormer twice in a row. We give a booster every year

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am new to goats so bear with me, I've only had them about 3 months now.

Goats raised: Nubians, right now I have 5 does and 1 yearling.

January- September:
Alfalfa Hay- Free choice 24/7.
Alfalfa Pellets: I fill their food trough with about 5 pounds two times a day.
Dairy Goat Molasses Grain: Each doe gets about 4 cups twice a day while on the stand. Some eat a little less than this. The yearling just gets a little handful as a treat.

September-December:
Same as above but less grain while they are dry.

Supplements:
Minerals loose: Caprine Magnum Milk, available free choice.
Kelp: Sprinkled on grain.
BOSS: Sprinkled on grain.

Treats:
Fruits & Veggies from our garden
Oak, Sumac and other various leaves that they steal bites of.

Meds:
So far I've wormed 1 "series" with Ivomec Plus. Probably will do 1x per year, unless fecals come back positive. We are on a dry lot.
They get a bolus of copper: Copasure: 1x per year.
The girls get BoSe shots with gestational cycles.
They all get annual CD/T shots.
The girls will get oral CalMag post partum while lactating for about 5 days.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I see some people feed a probiatic powder from time to time. Has anyone ever tried giving them natural kefir milk made with goats milk or store bought?
I give it to my chickens and dogs and really see no reason why you shouldnt give it to goats.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Citylife said:
I see some people feed a probiatic powder from time to time. Has anyone ever tried giving them natural kefir milk made with goats milk or store bought?
I give it to my chickens and dogs and really see no reason why you shouldnt give it to goats.
Yep, I've seen folks post about giving it before. Some folks also use yogurt if they are out of the probiotic powder.

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't add anything since I don't have any goats yet, but I was wondering if any of your bucks or wethers have any kind of 'Urinary Calculi'?

I read in the Storey book for dairy goats that giving them any high calcium feed (Pure alfalfa or high alfalfa mix hay) would give them the Urinary Calculi. Have you had any/ more frequent cases with feeding Alfalfa to bucks, or is a non-issue?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Kotori said:
I can't add anything since I don't have any goats yet, but I was wondering if any of your bucks or wethers have any kind of 'Urinary Calculi'?

I read in the Storey book for dairy goats that giving them any high calcium feed (Pure alfalfa or high alfalfa mix hay) would give them the Urinary Calculi. Have you had any/ more frequent cases with feeding Alfalfa to bucks, or is a non-issue?
High calcium doesn't cause urinary calculi. High phosphorus does (grains are high in phosphorus).

ALL of my goats get alfalfa.

eta: You want to maintain a proper Ca:ph ratio of 2:1 minimum (you could go slightly higher on the calcium side and be fine)