Levamisole - Prohibit

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Last time I used Prohibit, if I remember correctly, I read the whole packet would be mixed in a gallon of water to be mixed, right? It's been a while since I read the label. But, since I don't have enough animals to use the whole gallon in the 90 day period it's good for, I divided the powder in equal quarters (using a scale) and mixed 1/4 of the packet with 1 qt of water. Then I dosed according to weight. Luckily I also had a neighbor that was needing to deworm, so I gave the leftover liquid to her.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Last time I used Prohibit, if I remember correctly, I read the whole packet would be mixed in a gallon of water to be mixed, right? It's been a while since I read the label. But, since I don't have enough animals to use the whole gallon in the 90 day period it's good for, I divided the powder in equal quarters (using a scale) and mixed 1/4 of the packet with 1 qt of water. Then I dosed according to weight. Luckily I also had a neighbor that was needing to deworm, so I gave the leftover liquid to her.
If it's mixed to a gallon, THAT would be a lot of liquid to drench... No more med, of course (you could mix it to a bathtub's worth of water if you wanted...), but a big drench nonetheless.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
aggieterpkatie said:
If it's mixed to a gallon, THAT would be a lot of liquid to drench... No more med, of course (you could mix it to a bathtub's worth of water if you wanted...), but a big drench nonetheless.
Well the dosage was something like 30 cc's per 100 lbs if mixed with a gallon of water. It was easy to just divide the gallon into quarts, since 4 is a nice even number. :)

mogolady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with CMjust0.

If that is the amount of medication in a pkg. (I didn't have one to look at), then that would be the correct conversion from g to mg. and then mls for total kg. I am a nurse and can vouge for the math but I can't say that that is indeed the recommended dosage rate. Sorry.

Sounds like quite a bit but it is a drench which is diluted. That's why I don't like the Cydectin Sheep Drench, just because you have to dose large amounts like 15-20cc and I end up wearing half of it before I get it down the gosh darn goats.

Best of luck and hope those goaties are feeling better soon!;)

TOPalmer3rd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
CMjusto:

Sorry I don't want to beat this into the ground. But the package has information on mixing it for two different ways. For cattle is to add entire package to 1 quart of water. For sheep add entire package to 1 gallon of water for standard drench solution.

Lets say I mix my solution proportionally exact like the sheep drench. 1/4 package : 1 quart of water.

By doing this I have the following math:

46800mg / 4 = 11700mg LH

1 quart = 946 ml

11700mg/946 ml = exact solution mixed = 12.36mg/ml

Cody 72.7kg
X 12 mg/kg = 872.4 mg/12.36 = 70.58ml = 872 mg dosed

THese numbers are correct if I dose using the sheep drench mixture. Earlier the math the you had figured mixed the entire package in 1 quart of water which is basically 4x stronger. Is this how you have done it before?

If I dose according to the sheep drench and sheep dosage x1.5 then here is what I get.

entire package of LH = 46800mg
1 gallon of water = 3784 ml =12.36mg/ml

dosage per package for sheep

100 pounds = 1 fluid oz. = 30 ml

Cody weighs 160 pounds = 48 mls = 593.28 mgs of LH dosed if Cody were a sheep. But multiply that X1.5 = 889.92 mgs of LH dosed.

Fairly close math if you ask me.

872 mg dosed vs. 889.92 mg dosed

I think I am going to dose according to the 12mg/kg method. %

TOPalmer3rd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
CMjusto:

Sorry I don't want to beat this into the ground. But the package has information on mixing it for two different ways. For cattle is to add entire package to 1 quart of water. For sheep add entire package to 1 gallon of water for standard drench solution.

Lets say I mix my solution proportionally exact like the sheep drench. 1/4 package : 1 quart of water.

By doing this I have the following math:

46800mg / 4 = 11700mg LH

1 quart = 946 ml

11700mg/946 ml = exact solution mixed = 12.36mg/ml

Cody 72.7kg
X 12 mg/kg = 872.4 mg/12.36 = 70.58ml = 872 mg dosed

THese numbers are correct if I dose using the sheep drench mixture. Earlier the math the you had figured mixed the entire package in 1 quart of water which is basically 4x stronger. Is this how you have done it before?

If I dose according to the sheep drench and sheep dosage x1.5 then here is what I get.

entire package of LH = 46800mg
1 gallon of water = 3784 ml =12.36mg/ml

dosage per package for sheep

100 pounds = 1 fluid oz. = 30 ml

Cody weighs 160 pounds = 48 mls = 593.28 mgs of LH dosed if Cody were a sheep. But multiply that X1.5 = 889.92 mgs of LH dosed.

Fairly close math if you ask me.

872 mg dosed vs. 889.92 mg dosed

I think I am going to dose according to the 12mg/kg method.

Sorry but to much nursing school math this past semester.

One other thought. I have seen that if I use this wormer that I should use ivermectin first then wait 7 days and then worm with LH. Have you heard of that one???

Thanks for the input
Tom

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Mogolady, FYI, I use the cydectin injectable...Only 1cc per 100# and it works well on the 'hard cases' that valbazen won't cure anymore.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
mogolady said:
I agree with CMjust0.

If that is the amount of medication in a pkg. (I didn't have one to look at), then that would be the correct conversion from g to mg. and then mls for total kg. I am a nurse and can vouge for the math but I can't say that that is indeed the recommended dosage rate. Sorry.

Sounds like quite a bit but it is a drench which is diluted. That's why I don't like the Cydectin Sheep Drench, just because you have to dose large amounts like 15-20cc and I end up wearing half of it before I get it down the gosh darn goats.

Best of luck and hope those goaties are feeling better soon!;)
The dosage is right here .

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
TOPalmer3rd said:
I think I am going to dose according to the 12mg/kg method. %
That's really all you need to know, right there...that, and how to figure out how many mg you're mixing into each ml of water. And you've demonstrated proficiency in that.

And, yeah, that does sound like a lot to drench, but the package calls for "1-1/2 fl oz" -- 45ml -- for a 150lb sheep. Goats are time and a half the sheep dose, so that would be 2.25 fl oz for a 150lb goat...or, 67.5ml...which makes 0.45ml/lb.

Multiply .45ml/lb by 160lb and you get 72ml...which is dang close to the 70.58ml you calculated.

I think we've figured this about every way you can figure it, and the bottom line is: 12mg/kg + math = correct dose.

:lol: