Life span?

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So about how long are cows generally productive?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It depends on the cow and how well she is cared for. We've had cows in production into their mid teens. I've heard of cows that live into their early 20's but, as many dairies out there cull after the 2nd and 3rd lactations automatically those are fewer. Now that there are more going into backyard herds maybe we will here more of them. :)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
production life veries.beef cows can live tobe 15 or older.alot just depends on when they quit breeding back.weve had dairy cows to milk till their late teens.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you! We have a cow that's around 14 or 15, we call her Old Cow, but once I figured up her age, 15 just doesn't sound that old! But I really don't know what old is for cows! My steer is 14.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
FWIW, in the dairy show ring, a 6-year old cow is an Aged Cow. That gives you an idea of the average productive live span on a commercial dairy. If a cow has to earn her living, few survive into their teens. In most barns, a 10 yr old is an veteran. Their feet/legs go, the udder starts to drag, or they don't breed back.
Keep in mind these animals naturally reproduce at 2 years of age and mature at 4-5, so nature doesn't expect them to live long lives.
Stages of a cow's life:
Calf ( birth til 6 months or so)
Heifer ( From calf until she freshens)
1st calf Heifer ( usually a 2 yr old)
2nd calf Heifer ( a 3 yr old)
cow
Aged Cow

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ours are beef cows. (although me and my mom would like to buy a jersey at some point)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I think the oldest I have ever had was 18?

As long as they breed back, raise a good calf and hold good condition, I will keep them. Right now I have 2 13 year olds, that are doing pretty good!

Cheepsunglasses

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I asked my vet this question and his answer was "A twenty year old cow is a 40 year old horse (we are mostly horse people)." In other words, some do live that long with very good care, but they aren't the norm. That is the upper end of the range.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
FWIW, in the dairy show ring, a 6-year old cow is an Aged Cow. That gives you an idea of the average productive live span on a commercial dairy. If a cow has to earn her living, few survive into their teens. In most barns, a 10 yr old is an veteran. Their feet/legs go, the udder starts to drag, or they don't breed back.
Keep in mind these animals naturally reproduce at 2 years of age and mature at 4-5, so nature doesn't expect them to live long lives.
Stages of a cow's life:
Calf ( birth til 6 months or so)
Heifer ( From calf until she freshens)
1st calf Heifer ( usually a 2 yr old)
2nd calf Heifer ( a 3 yr old)
cow
Aged Cow
We milk a lot of aged Jerseys here then! :D IMHO if a dairy HAS TO continually dispose of more than a very small percentage of their cows by their third or fourth lactation there is a problem.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
haviris said:
So about how long are cows generally productive?
good answers on the board

my rule, older for animals is not as productive (usually) and create a ton more med problems (maybe) than I want to deal with on my farm. So I do cull animals according to age.

Each farmer has to determine what is the best rotation of animals for their business.