Lionhead Rabbit Thread

tkfarms

Just born
Reaction score
I'm new to rabbits... I've had poultry for about 5 years now so this is a change in pace! As of right now I have 1 Senior Doe, 2 Junior Does, and 2 Junior Bucks. I kind of know what colors they are but not for positive yet. I LOVE the Lionheads! They are so calm and loving! I have a 13 year old sister and sometimes I wonder if the rabbits know what their cage even looks like because she's always handling them. I came home one day to find her and one of the does watching TV in the living room! So CUTE! I'll have to post pictures later. My youngest junior is 7 weeks - ish and the oldest I have is 3 years.

Tyler

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
tkfarms said:
I'm new to rabbits... I've had poultry for about 5 years now so this is a change in pace! As of right now I have 1 Senior Doe, 2 Junior Does, and 2 Junior Bucks. I kind of know what colors they are but not for positive yet. I LOVE the Lionheads! They are so calm and loving! I have a 13 year old sister and sometimes I wonder if the rabbits know what their cage even looks like because she's always handling them. I came home one day to find her and one of the does watching TV in the living room! So CUTE! I'll have to post pictures later. My youngest junior is 7 weeks - ish and the oldest I have is 3 years.

Tyler
Welcome to the hobby. You should definitely post some pictures. :)

Nikki

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ahhh... a need a lionhead! Like... I NEED one! My mom was going to buy a pair so we could breed them. But then a show lady who breeds lops,dwarfs etc.. said not to since they don't sell for much. She said that theres someone who has a lniohead with a perfect body, then another person with a perfect head... but they never can match it up. I don't think that's true... but oh well. Also I'm concerned because she said since they have long fur, when the kits are in the nest they could get hair in their eyes since it's so long, and they could get sick and die. :/ Oh well though...

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Nikki said:
Ahhh... a need a lionhead! Like... I NEED one! My mom was going to buy a pair so we could breed them. But then a show lady who breeds lops,dwarfs etc.. said not to since they don't sell for much. She said that theres someone who has a lniohead with a perfect body, then another person with a perfect head... but they never can match it up. I don't think that's true... but oh well. Also I'm concerned because she said since they have long fur, when the kits are in the nest they could get hair in their eyes since it's so long, and they could get sick and die. :/ Oh well though...
That's a load of crap...

First off, Lionheads have the same problem as Netherland Dwarfs do when it comes to type. You need good type, with a nice headmount, and good bone structure. Nethies have been around longer, so yes, they're going to have better type overall. The mane does throw a curveball because you have to consider that when deciding breedings.

Second, if you're serious about breeding, don't worry about price. Breed for your enjoyment and to better the breed and help it get passed. Every breed has a different popularity and price in areas. I live in PA and we have the highest number of Lionhead breeders than any other state. I also just started breeding about a year ago. It's really hard to sell rabbits.

And I've never had a problem with kits getting fur in their eyes.

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what color he would be called? just curious....

5237_dsc_0101.jpg

5237_dalek.jpg

TherapyBunnies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Gentle Lions now have blues. I think all are blue otters maybe 1 blue ?silver martin. 2 are does for sure. 1 I am thinking doe, but not totally sure.

FSF's RazMa Taz
5458_imag3757-1.jpg

FSF's TBD/?
5458_imag3673-1-1.jpg

FSF's White Sox
5458_imag3692.jpg

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How often do you guys have to brush your lionheads? Ours seems to be getting matted lately...also, do any of you shave or trim the fur? Thanks :)

TherapyBunnies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We brush every week to two weeks. We use a pet brush called the Furminator, but have to be careful not to over brush the manes. I trim the breed bunnies that are not show bunnies that get poopy butts.

tkfarms

Just born
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question...

My lionhead doe is missing a patch of hair on her forehead! Its not infected because its not crusty, red, or inflamed. I see no evidence of parasitic activity. Is it reasonable to believe that she got into a fight with the rabbit next to her?

Latest posts