Livestock Guardian Dogs?? Should I get one? (more pics)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
We had some great guardian llamas....but they didn't see raccoons and weasels as threats and let them kill the chickens.
That's why we got rid of the llamas and got dogs.
(I tried to have both, the llamas tried to kill Razor as a pup....since he would guard the birds eventually, he won the 'who stays?' contest.)

Mine don't go looking for trouble, for sure...but you'll get it if you mess w/ my critters.

You can't fix a dog until they're 6 mos or so old, at least that's always been my understanding. I would think a 6 mo. old should still be submissive enough to let you take him in.
I would DEFINITELY get one fixed, as a dog looking for love doesn't have his mind on the job...and Razor used to hump the does....it wasn't pretty.
We got him neutered at 1 yr old. He didn't lose his 'edge' one bit!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, I need a guardian dog right now! There is some guy on big loud motorcycle in my driveway and my spaniel is just looking at him! I think he's looking for the previous owners of the property. He's gone, not a peep out of my dog though!

I would get my puppy neutered. They are five months right now. My vet wanted me to neuter my cavalier at 8 weeks! I said no way that was too young, so I don't know the age limit?

I guess the guardian dog in the fence with the goats would be enough to keep a predator away from the chickens? The lady that has these pups has each dog in a pasture with goats and her chickens are free-range and run all over the place, mostly outside of the goat fences (just like mine) and she hasn't lost one bird since she got the dogs.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
We raised ours with baby chicks and let them know chasing or hurting them was BAD. I dunno how one will do that wasn't raised (at your place) w/ them.
I'd definitely watch the situation until you're sure he understands they're off limits to him.
Our birds are all penned but when they do get out for a walk, they're not bothered by the dogs.
The Anatolian did chase a guinea or two as a pup but again...you expect pups to be pups....you just have to let them know it's not Ok.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These pups have chickens, chicks and guineas roaming across the goat pen now and then, they were completely unphased by the birds. My chicken house is about ten feet from the goat pen where the dog would be able to see the chickens most of the time. The chickens rarely go into the goat pasture because they prefer the horse poop to scratch in!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just wondering what you do with the dog when you are not able to supervise??

I guess that is my biggest concern. The breeder wants me to just turn him loose in the goat pasture and let him do his job. I don't think that this is wise. If I knew what to do with him when I can't watch him, I'd feel a lot better about the situation and might give it a try.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
We left them shut up in barn (in a big box stall w/ toys, toys, and more toys) or in a pen with ONLY adult does. Our main pen has only our adults in it, so that's always a safe bet. They beat up on the pups quite a bit when they get too frisky and do a great job of showing them what they won't put up with.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I talked to a member of the Karakachan dog association today, she is also the breeder of the Daddy dog of these pups I'm looking at.

She answered a lot of my questions and it seems like not all rules that apply to LGD in general, apply to Karakachan's, some rules but not all.

I can confine the dog near the goats when I cannot supervise him, so that is a relief.

The main thing is that these pups are already on the job, have been raised with the same livestock and are in a similar setup to ours. They are also working well and doing their jobs already.

I think I'll give it a shot! I'll post pics of the new pup when he arrives!:D

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
dianneS said:
Well, I talked to a member of the Karakachan dog association today, she is also the breeder of the Daddy dog of these pups I'm looking at.

She answered a lot of my questions and it seems like not all rules that apply to LGD in general, apply to Karakachan's, some rules but not all.

I can confine the dog near the goats when I cannot supervise him, so that is a relief.

The main thing is that these pups are already on the job, have been raised with the same livestock and are in a similar setup to ours. They are also working well and doing their jobs already.

I think I'll give it a shot! I'll post pics of the new pup when he arrives!:D
I am soo excited for you!! I can't wait to hear all about your little guy's/gal's progress! :clap

And photos, photos!!!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm so excited too! The breeder is saving a puppy for me and I'm picking him up Wednesday night! I'll have lots of pics to post!:weee :celebrate