~Livinwright Farm's kidding thread~ 2 preggers does... hopefully :)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
no goo yet.... this is a good thing! I have to do shopping, an hour's drive one way, away today... it would be bad if she had them while I was gone, as I need to be here for any potential problems(espescially where she is SO young).

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Also, I have NO livestock vet within a 1.5 hr's drive from me... so I have to be the vet. :ep :barnie
Wish one would come back into the area, espescially since this county is a farming & 4H county.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Thank you for the well wishes... Cali & I appreciate it! I felt her itty bitty udder tonight and it feels like she has gone from nothing to little kiwi sized bulges above each teat.... Still no gooing, but her vulva is lengthening.
I am SO incredibly nervous about her kidding.... I just pray that I am here & awake when she goes into labor.
I can't find sterile gloves anywhere! I have gone to Rite Aid, Wal~Mart, Hannaford, Job Lot, Market Basket... nothing.. nothing... nothing. :barnie
If I have to go in & reposition a kid, is it at all acceptable that I just use the betadine scrub and then do what needs to be done without gloves??

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tractor supply should carry them?? Any feed stores around?? They should have em. You can also call a small animal vet..they would have them. You would just need to ask if they would be nice enough to let you buy a box off them. Tell em your situation?? They may help.

You probally could get away with no gloves and a good scrub??? Im sure its been done. There was a day where we never had sterile gloves and people still assisted goats. But I would try to get the gloves for sure. You just dont wannt add any bacteria whatsoever in her womb. I would keep searching.

Good luck...I hope she does great for you!!

Waiting for babies :pop :celebrate

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
Tractor supply should carry them?? Any feed stores around?? They should have em. You can also call a small animal vet..they would have them. You would just need to ask if they would be nice enough to let you buy a box off them. Tell em your situation?? They may help.

You probally could get away with no gloves and a good scrub??? Im sure its been done. There was a day where we never had sterile gloves and people still assisted goats. But I would try to get the gloves for sure. You just dont wannt add any bacteria whatsoever in her womb. I would keep searching.

Good luck...I hope she does great for you!!

Waiting for babies :pop :celebrate
I forgot to mention that our local TSC, Blue Seal, and Farmers' Union do not carry sterile gloves. :rolleyes: you would think...but apparently they do not.
My last options are either purchasing from a vet(if they are nice enough to allow that), getting through the hospital, or hopefully finding a medical supply store... :fl

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I will be re-setting up the barn cam tomorrow... wish I had the money for Marestare... :hit
I LOVE their barn alert system! It is SO helpful.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My vet doesn't use gloves and neither do I. To be honest almost all but surgical gloves are marked unsterile anyway. Use lots of hot water and something like iodine scrub or chlorahexidine (you should be able to find at feed stores or pharmacies). Short gloves are not going to help and I find the shoulder ones are terrible for tactile ability. I have some and they are still in the barn mostly unused. Maybe I'll get some use for the heifer?Get some lube if you don't have already. I bought the powder kind and a kid puller. In a pinch you can boil a piece of bailing twine. Make sure to give injectable antibiotics if you enter the uterus.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love the birthing experience. I am going to add that I have assisted hundreds of births in the last 20 yrs, puppies, kids, piglets and the infection risk from gloves (because the box sits around)sometimes is higher than a freshly clean hand. Also it is much harder to have a tactile response and find parts with gloves. Trim your nails short. Good idea also to keep the vet's# on hand because with little ones there is not much room to rearrange parts. The good thing tho usually there is time for a vet to arrive should parts not be presenting correctly. But these are cautionary only, Cali is going to be just fine and deliver a tiny kid naturally!!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Still no gooing yet... but realistically her due date should be around the 4th or 5th... if she holds to the nigerian trait(so I have read) of 145 days. if she is closer to the 150 then it will be the 9th or later.