~Livinwright Farm's kidding thread~ 2 preggers does... hopefully :)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Could it be?!? I was coming down the ladder from the barn loft, and saw Cali's tail flick to erect and the she looked as though she was trying to poop, then her tail relaxed, she started panting/quick breathing, then a pause, then her tail flicked to erect and again with the looking like she was trying to poop.....
Could this be the start of contractions??

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are usually a little more obvious about starting the birthing process. I would keep an eye on her...She'll let you know...at 3am!! :gig

Could of been gas passing as well??? Hard saying if no noticable discharge. I say that..but every goat birth is differant??? Just keep watching her.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I just sent this in reply as a message to you, but so everyone else knows too:
No goo or other fluids... but I have heard from a few others on here that their does did not have any precursor gooing before the bubble started emerging.
She has had NO ligaments for roughly 4-5 days now. IE: no matter how much I search for them, they CAN'T be felt, and I could feel them before)
She hasn't been pawwing the ground that I have noticed... she is however, continuously readjusting how she has her back legs set, and won't leave from standing in front of Momma's stall. LOL what udders? the most this poor little girl has are kiwis stuck in above her teats
She is also being verry quiet... unusual for her. she usually bleats for attention.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her ligs have been GONE for 5 days or just loose? If her ligs have been gone for more than 12 hours she should be gearing up. Those do sound an awful lot like the minor contractions they have when early labor starts, but goats sure like to fake us out and that sort of thing could go on a good long while.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You just may be a grandmama soon!!! I would put her in a kidding stahl...if her ligs dropped and her behavoirs changed then she just may be starting!! All I can say is get your birthing kit ready to go. She a first freshener so she may not be so typical cuz its new to her and shes young. I hope she does great for you and her!!! I would keep a close eye on her...cuz she is young..and you should try to be with her in case she needs assistance.

Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's how Ariel's contractions were - her tail would lift straight up - very stretched and she's hunch just a bit. Lots of quiet low "maw" noises. Babies were on the ground just a few hours later.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Her ligs have been GONE for 5 days or just loose? If her ligs have been gone for more than 12 hours she should be gearing up. Those do sound an awful lot like the minor contractions they have when early labor starts, but goats sure like to fake us out and that sort of thing could go on a good long while.
Yes, her ligs have completely disappeared from any discernable feeling... roughly 4-5 days ago. So I have know it was more than likely going to be before she hit the 150 day mark. I am really hoping that she hasn't learned "the doe code"!!! for her sake and mine!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
You just may be a grandmama soon!!! I would put her in a kidding stahl...if her ligs dropped and her behavoirs changed then she just may be starting!! All I can say is get your birthing kit ready to go. She a first freshener so she may not be so typical cuz its new to her and shes young. I hope she does great for you and her!!! I would keep a close eye on her...cuz she is young..and you should try to be with her in case she needs assistance.

Good luck!! Keep us posted.
:hit But I'm too young to be a grandmama!!! I'm only 27!!! :barnie

ETA: everyone else is locked in their stalls with plenty of hay & water, Cali is in the, normally, community area where the salt lick is. I've got as much of my kidding kit as I could find and gather, ready and waiting. I finally got the barn cam hooked back up and it is connected to a tv for use as a video monitor. As soon as I hear her start screaming, I will be running out, kidding kit in arms, to assist her if need be.