long haired goats

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I saw some pics on there from a gentleman that posts pics from other countires, and fell in love with them. Does any on here know of any readily available long haired breeds in the U.S.? Does anyone have pics? Any other info? What they are used for?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Typically raised for their fiber. They have to be sheared once or twice a year. I'm considering adding a fiber goat to my herd in a few years as well since I like to spin my own yarn.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Angora goats are about the most available long hair goat you will find here. They are typically white, but can be other colors. They are used pretty much only for their hair, they are not very good milkers (will only produce enough to raise their own babies and then they dry up faster than a dairy breed) and not really meaty enough for eating. You could also use one to pull a cart, but I don't know how good a pack goat it would be if it had to go through a lot of bushes or trees, it could ruin the hair doing that.

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Beautiful. I just love the long hair. Is it hard to care for.....brushing daily like long haired dogs? or do the does care for it pretty well by themselves?

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
the coat is low maintence. Its soft and silky, dosnt matt and so far, nothing has gotten tangled in it.
I have not groomed them at all. Most of mine are young and dont have that length of coat yet, and Id like to show them so i imagine they will get used to being bathed and brushed :)
These new girls need a bath, but Im waiting for the warm weather this weekend.