Lost calf?

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
DIL called in panic yesterday because they hadn't seen Belle's calf for 48 hours. MReit and her brother spent hours searching the 10 acre pasture, creek, and brush area looking for it. Nothing- although there is some nasty multiflora rose along the creekbanks.
Belle is a 2nd calf holstein/beef cross and now looks more dairy than beef. She is part of their mixed beef herd and they can walk up and touch her. Newborn Calf when seen was feisty and running, but there have been coyote sightings in the area so they are worried.
I asked how Belle's udder was looking and she said it was high, looking good and there were still some wrinkles. That sounded wrong for a half-dairy fresh cow not being milked for more than a day.
As we were talking about contingency plans, granddaughter ( age 7) says she thinks she just saw the calf, but it's gone and it's now dark.
Not sure whether to believe her or not.
DIL got up early this morning and spent some quality time on the back porch watching the herd mosey down the pasture. Sure enough, after about 1/2 hour of watching, there is a tiny black critter wandering along with Belle.
Of course it promptly disappeared, and they don't know where it goes. But she did get pictures to prove to hubby that it lives:)

Somehow, I don't think we've heard the last of this little guy's antics.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ohhhh, one of those little stinkers that hide well! Hopefully, in a few days he/she will show itself more and mores.

I remember looking for a holstein calf that the momma came in without. We knew the calf was out there but, couldn't find it. They were on a hay field scheduled to be plowed the next spring and there were no trees for it to hide in. We had just decided to go back in and some do milking while others searched the woods around the field. While walking back in, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a slight movement in a pile of stones. There in a low spot in the pile was the calf.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah, not cool....walking through multiflora and swamp. That was enough exercise for me for the day. If Belle was in the pasture she should have been, it wouldn't have happend. ( she was supposed to come to my house before she calved) Oh well.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
calves do love to hide an cause us probs.glad the lil stinker showed up.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MReit said:
Yeah, not cool....walking through multiflora and swamp. That was enough exercise for me for the day. If Belle was in the pasture she should have been, it wouldn't have happend. ( she was supposed to come to my house before she calved) Oh well.
Did you tell Belle that? :D

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think she thought much of it...Well obviously since she calved..lol :idunno