Mange it is: an update from the "lumps on skin" post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey,

I posted a few days ago about my goat having lumps. Well, I payed the vet to tell me what I already suspected that it's demotic mange.
I read in one of my books that I should just clean the mange with hydrogen peroxide. I also saw on fiasco farm that garlic helps because the mites can't stand it? I guess I would rub garlic on the skin? The vet said she would use ivomec and I know that others here would suggest the same. Yet, I would really like to try a homeopathic solution first if at all possible. Or another chemical option that isn't a shot. :D

One more question, would it be bad to drink her milk? I milked her for the first time a couple days ago and got half a quart. The milk didn't smell bad but it tasted really sour/bitter. She has been eating some pine needles so I thought it might be that. Do you think it would be all right if I just turned that milk into soap due to the awful taste?
Thanks!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Whenever I worm them during milking I use that milk for soapmaking so I think it'll be just fine for that. I'm not sure why the milk would taste bitter, mine eat pine needles and the milk never tasted bad, but maybe it's the quantity. :idunno Do they have good hay and grain as well?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The garlic should be ingested not rubbed on skin. I have never used it so I don't know how much you would give but you would give it on a daily basis I believe for at least a week.

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Karen,

The lady from fiasco farm didn't say to give orally. I guess she assumed it just made sense. :p I didn't know what to do with the garlic so I didn't try it, but I will now!

Thanks for confirming my idea to use the milk as soap, Chadnasue.
She is getting Timothy hay and Dumor sweet grain/alfalfa pellets/BOSS in the morning and at night.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lady Jane said:
The vet said she would use ivomec and I know that others here would suggest the same. Yet, I would really like to try a homeopathic solution first if at all possible. Or another chemical option that isn't a shot. :D
Question: If your child had demodectic mange and was miserable and itchy and had lumps on their skin, would you try something homeopathic first just for the sake of avoiding medication, or would you just give the kid whatever was going to make them feel better the fastest?

Ivomec *will* cure this. Inject SQ at the label dose of 1ml/110lbs, then repeat in about 3 wks. For an adult goat, you're talking <2ml.

Just for reference, draw up 2ml of water in a syringe and dispense it on your kitchen counter, then proceed to marvel at how little liquid it actually is. Then, if you want, you can blow your own mind a little further by reminding yourself that the entire dose of medication would be represented by a scant **1%** of those few drops of liquid on your countertop and that the rest is merely carrier.

That's all you're avoiding by trying something that probably won't work, while your animal suffers in the meantime...1% of a few drops.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Lady Jane said:
The vet said she would use ivomec and I know that others here would suggest the same. Yet, I would really like to try a homeopathic solution first if at all possible. Or another chemical option that isn't a shot. :D
Question: If your child had demodectic mange and was miserable and itchy and had lumps on their skin, would you try something homeopathic first just for the sake of avoiding medication, or would you just give the kid whatever was going to make them feel better the fastest?

Ivomec *will* cure this. Inject SQ at the label dose of 1ml/110lbs, then repeat in about 3 wks. For an adult goat, you're talking <2ml.

Just for reference, draw up 2ml of water in a syringe and dispense it on your kitchen counter, then proceed to marvel at how little liquid it actually is. Then, if you want, you can blow your own mind a little further by reminding yourself that the entire dose of medication would be represented by a scant **1%** of those few drops of liquid on your countertop and that the rest is merely carrier.

That's all you're avoiding by trying something that probably won't work, while your animal suffers in the meantime...1% of a few drops.
;) i tolaly agree, that's how i treat it.

BlackSheepOrganics

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Treatment of Demodectic mange is something we have dealt with when we took in a few goats due to an older gentleman dying and the sheriff's deputy knew we have taken in animals. Out here, if an animal needs a home, folks somehow think we have nothing better to do than take it in since I stay at home and us stay at home moms do nothing but sit around watching soaps (we don't have tv), eating bonbons (ick), and playing with the kiddos. (please note heavy sarcasm there)

Anyhow, cmjust0 is right. The Ivomec is certainly the easier and quicker solution. If your goats are heavily infested, you may want to seriously consider that route for their comfort's sake and your sanity's sake.

I have found that holistic approaches do work if properly known and implemented. However, they are often best used as preventatives before the situation is serious. I have raised 8 children and too many animals to count using holistic and all natural means. However, I will be the first to tell you that there are times that it is just common sense and or humane to use modern medicine

Here is what we did in case it will help you, but please keep your goats' comfort in mind when deciding how to proceed. Only you know how much discomfort they are in.

We got the 3 goats by finding them in a pen we have for letting the baby goats play outside. The sheriff's deputy was kind enough to let us know by a note tied to the gate that a neighbor had died and he didn't know what to do with them and was hoping we wouldn't mind. He further noted that he didn't want to wake us so he left them in there for us to find. I had a "friendly" chat with him afterwards and he now wakes us if need be. They had demodectic mange and it was obvious they were in bad shape.

So we got out some dog shampoo we have that is all natural and put in the neem oil (just about 10 drops to a quart of the shampoo) and mixed it up good. We bathed them in that thoroughly 3x a week for two weeks but it was drying out their skin so we went to 2x a week. Keep in mind that neem oil can be irritating to their skin so you want a carrier shampoo that is very soothing.

We also fed them a mixture of 3 cloves of garlic with echinacea purpurea. This is a good preventative but not sure if it actually helps rid them of it. I figured it could not hurt though. Both ingredients are a good "keep away" for the critters but they also help the immune system. After about a month and a half they were looking considerably better but we kept up till the end of 2 months as that is what is recommended. In case you haven't already guessed, bathing a goat is not easy nor fun! :)

We also made sure to address their overall health and their immune system through feed and environment. The reason being is that those mites live on those goats all the time. When their immune system is compromised be it from nutrition deficits, environmental factors, or stress, the mites get out of control.

It has been about 10 years ago that we experienced this so I don't remember more details...sorry.

If I get a goat in that is stressed, I immediately give it the garlic and echinacea purpurea mixture and make sure to address any nutritional concerns. These goats are not allowed around my goats until I've had them for 3 months and know they are not contagious. I'm a bit paranoid about losing one of my babies as that happens without the aid of sicklies coming in.

I hope that helps and does not offend you. I just want you to make sure you're fully aware of both sides of the coin of possibilities. I wish you the very best with your babies!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
The garlic should be ingested not rubbed on skin. I have never used it so I don't know how much you would give but you would give it on a daily basis I believe for at least a week.
I would assume it would be close to the amount fed to dogs to ward of mite/ticks/fleas/etc.... 1 Tbsp of minced garlic per day in their food or on the side.
Garlic also works for people to ward of these same creepy crawly critters! ;)

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for the heartfelt information everyone. I will take into consideration all that has been said.
I don't suppose Python dust would be any help for mites? Also, what is the difference (if any) between 7 dust and Python dust?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Lady Jane said:
Thank you for the heartfelt information everyone. I will take into consideration all that has been said.
I don't suppose Python dust would be any help for mites? Also, what is the difference (if any) between 7 dust and Python dust?
Python dust does work on mites also! the difference between 7 and Python is this: Python is SAFE to use on newborn kids, milking does, and any dairy livestock with NO withdrawl time! :) It is the least toxic to them and to us. You do need to wear a dust mask(or t-shirt tied around your face) so you don't breathe it in, and as with all products like this, you need to use rubber gloves(ones used in the use of chemicals, not medical).
I dusted my herd of 5 goats ONCE in mid-December, I have not found any critters in their coat since. It really does work great, and I can't reccommend the stuff enough! ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.