Mange it is: an update from the "lumps on skin" post

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Python dust does work on mites also!
I dusted my herd of 5 goats ONCE in mid-December, I have not found any critters in their coat since. It really does work great, and I can't reccommend the stuff enough! ;) :D
I've never heard anyone say any kind of dust will kill mites. To my knowledge, it won't.

Can't help but wonder if you're confusing mites with lice.. If you're seeing 'critters in their coat,' you're seeing lice -- not mites. Mites live in the goats skin, burrowing in and out, laying eggs and so forth, and they make nasty, scaly, weepy scabs and bumps often accompanied by heat and swelling, hair loss, pain, itching, etc.. Mites are *bad news*..

You kinda gotta kill mites by feeding them 'bad blood,' in a way...insecticide-treated blood. That's why injecting ivermectin works so well..

The dust won't get into the blood, which is why -- to my knowledge -- it's useless against mites.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Livinwright Farm said:
I dusted my herd of 5 goats ONCE in mid-December, I have not found any critters in their coat since. It really does work great, and I can't reccommend the stuff enough! ;) :D
I've never heard anyone say any kind of dust will kill mites. To my knowledge, it won't.

Can't help but wonder if you're confusing mites with lice.. If you're seeing 'critters in their coat,' you're seeing lice -- not mites. Mites live in the goats skin, burrowing in and out, laying eggs and so forth, and they make nasty, scaly, weepy scabs and bumps often accompanied by heat and swelling, hair loss, pain, itching, etc.. Mites are *bad news*..

You kinda gotta kill mites by feeding them 'bad blood,' in a way...insecticide-treated blood. That's why injecting ivermectin works so well..

The dust won't get into the blood, which is why -- to my knowledge -- it's useless against mites.
If you google on the use of python dust with chickens you will find that it does kill mites as well. ;)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
If you google on the use of python dust with chickens you will find that it does kill mites as well. ;)
chicken != goat

;)

ETA -- more specifically, chicken mites do not equal goat mites. Chicken mites live *on* the skin... Goat mites live *in* the skin...

Totally, completely, 100% different.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Livinwright Farm said:
chicken != goat

;)

ETA -- more specifically, chicken mites do not equal goat mites. Chicken mites live *on* the skin... Goat mites live *in* the skin...

I will recheck my package of Python dust this afternoon, but I am fairly certain that it says it kills lice, mites, ticks, and fleas. Whether it is specifying goat mites or chicken mites, I do not know. But given that it is a livestock dust, my guess is that it would be specifying goat mites. ;)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
cmjust0 said:
Livinwright Farm said:
chicken != goat

;)

I will recheck my package of Python dust this afternoon, but I am fairly certain that it says it kills lice, mites, ticks, and fleas. Whether it is specifying goat mites or chicken mites, I do not know. But given that it is a livestock dust, my guess is that it would be specifying goat mites. ;)
If you have to check your package label, then "guess" it kills goat-specific mites because goats are livestock and, hey, it's "livestock dust" and it may say it kills mites, then you should probably have indicated all that to begin with instead of saying:

And that's doing the very least.

More preferable would be doing what many of us do, which is to develop a theory and test it out on our own herds before suggesting it to others without *actually* knowing whether it works or not.

;)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Lady Jane: I should have stated earlier that:
If you or anyone else wants to know more about Python Dust or it's use for mites, lice, ticks, horn flies, keds, face flies, stable flies and other nuisance flies just google,"Python dust for _______s"(insert whatever species animal needs it into the blank)

Status
Not open for further replies.