milk jugs

raybo2000

Just born
Reaction score
does anyone know where you can buy milk jugs 1/2 gallon or1 gallon we are getting more milk and need contaners

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
raybo2000 said:
does anyone know where you can buy milk jugs 1/2 gallon or1 gallon we are getting more milk and need contaners
Not sure where to find new, unused milk jugs, but consider the fact that even if you do find them, you'll have to buy them perpetually... Once a plastic milk jug has held milk, it pretty much has to be thrown out -- you should never, ever re-use a milk jug.

We always use quart-sized glass canning jars.. They can be sterilized and re-used time and again.

If it's 1/2gal or 1gal size you're looking for specifically, Ball and Mason make those sizes too. They're harder to find, but they do exist.

:)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
In Ohio, you can get them at Buehlers grocery store. So maybe try some grocery stores in your area.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i use, and reuse, wide mouthed quart jars..and i just got some half gallon jars also.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
We re-use milk jugs now and then. We just wash them REALLY well and do a bleach rinse. I typically try to use water or tea jugs if we need a jug though.

I had a source online for new milk jugs, but it was wholesale only I think.

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use either half gallon or quart Mason jars, you can get plastic lids for them that are a lot easier than the canning lids. I didn't have any trouble finding half gallon jars around here, they had them with all the other canning jars/supplies at our local Rural King.

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I hate plastic..... i wont buy anything in plastic... I use 1/2 gal glass mason jars for all our milk.... Easy to clean and reuse.... I also like to use Adams Natural Peanutbutter jars they have nice wide mouths and it's glass :)

If your in the PNW there's a place near Battleground, Wa thats sells plastic jugs.... gal, 1/2 gal, qrts too...

Mossy Stone Farm

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
We reuse plastic jugs for the milk I freeze for the next kid crop.....they haven't complained yet about the taste. ;)

(I bleach them good first, of course....)

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use quart and half gallon canning jars. Right from the bucket to a canning jar.The wide mouth jars work great with milking filters. I like glass. Easy to clean and sterilze.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I cannot find 2 qt jars around here :)rant), or I might use them more often. I can't keep a ton of quart jars in my fridge (or freezer, for that matter) so that' why I reuse the gallon jugs.