Mineral and ration evaluation

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm really new to this goat thing, and I tried to look at the compositions of other goat minerals and see how mine compared, but I couldn't really tell - I don't know where or how much variation is acceptable.

I live in "northern" Canada - which is to say, north of any population centers - and the only goat-specific mineral that I could find was about a four hour drive away. I was out that way anyway, so I picked some up. If it's great, I'm willing to get more from there as needed - I only have two goats, so the 50 pound bag I got should last quite a while. I got a "goat dairy ration" at the same time, and I was hoping for some input on how it is too.

First, the mineral. - It's a loose mineral.

Calcium - 12%
Phosphorus - 6%
Sodium - 11%
Magnesium - 3%
Zinc - 9500 mg/kg
Manganese - 7500 mg/kg
Copper - 2000 mg/kg
Fluorine - 550 mg/kg
Iodine - 150 mg/kg
Cobalt - 30 mg/kg
Selenium - 30 mg/kg
Vitamin A - 750000 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 - 75000 IU/kg
Vitamin E - 2500 IU/kg

I got my goats from two different breeders, both of whom said that they did NOT feed minerals in the summer, because the goats didn't use them then. Both of my goats have been licking up the minerals, at least a little every day (not counting the spillage when Dash kicks over the dish). The younger one has a bit of a rough coat, but that might just be her normal coat, I'm not sure. The older one has a nice smooth coat, but serious itchiness issues, oily skin, and dandruff. I'm hoping that maybe the minerals will help with that. I'm also planning to try BOSS when I can get into town and get some.

Then, the ration. Again, there's not much available here - Purina doesn't make anything for Canada except cat and dog food (as far as I can tell), and my local feed store doesn't carry the goat feed made by Masterfeeds, although they could special order it for me. Both of my goats are females, one has never been bred (she's a yearling) and the other is eight years old and dry (her kids got killed by a bear). I will be breeding them both late this fall. Right now I'm feeding them each about 1/4 pound, twice per day (for a total of 1/2 pound). I mixed this ration with oats, because I wanted to stretch it a little farther, neither of them has great demands on them right now, and I need them to spend more time eating so I can get them used to me handling them on the milkstand. The ration is as follows:

Crude protein: 16%
Crude fat: 3.2%
Crude fiber: 12%
Calcium: 1.1%
Phosphorus: 0.6%
Sodium: 0.4%
Vitamin A: 10000 IU/kg
Vitamin D: 2500 IU/kg
Vitamin E: 30 IU/kg
Selenium: 0.6 mg/kg

One thing that worries me a little is that both tags have a caution that says "Do not use this feed in conjunction with another grain ration, supplement, or premix containing supplemental selenium."

So, can anyone give me a better idea of how good these are and if I should stop feeding them at the same time? Which nutrients have "wiggle room"? When they're actually in late stage pregnancy and lactation, I'll be going through more of the dairy ration, and then I'll want something I can get here in town, options being "cow and calf feed" type stuff for milking cows, or horse feeds. I just am trying to get a better feel for which levels are the most essential to get right.

Thanks in advance for helping me and my goats!
Julie

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Both the mineral and feed looks fine. Is your area selenium deficient? To be honest, there isn't that much selenium in there so unless you are in an area that is high in selenium, I probably wouldn't worry about it. I give free choice minerals all year round. My goats eat it year round. The rough coat is a sign that she could use some minerals. You may also have mites or lice with your older girl scratching and flaky skin. You could get a powder and powder them or use Ivomec on them if you can get it in your area. Adding the BOSS will be good to. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I actually don't know how to find out if my area is selenium deficient. Would the local livestock vet know? We don't have the "county agricultural agent" here, or not that I know of.

I thought it was a little strange that the breeders didn't give them minerals in the summer, but that both goats appeared to want it when I offered it. :hu I guess I can expect them to eat more of it in the winter. I think most people here are less willing than I am to cater to the specific needs of their livestock type. Also, it's a pain to get goat-specific stuff here.

So are there no Lamanchas that naturally have a rough coat? It's not "wiry", it just doesn't lay down flat on her skin. Anyway, I'll keep offering her minerals, but her coat doesn't necessarily look unhealthy to me.

I have both Ivomec AND a mite/lice dust. I bought the ivomec to worm the goats, but haven't used it yet, as I know one was wormed in the spring (I forgot to ask about the older one). The dust I bought for when my very old dog had lice, when she was in declining health. I have enough to treat a couple of cows, so there should be plenty for my goat, but then it will be all over her and she'll be powdery and smelly and eating it, right? The ivomec might be better. Injected for external parasites, right? (I've never given any injection to anything, but as long as it's sub-q or even intramuscular I should be able to handle it. I think.)

Thanks for the support!