Mini Pearl is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
And Duh has become a little porker!!!

0503124.jpg

0503121.jpg

0503123.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hmmm....I've always been told right around 18 months is a good time. But I am guessing that if you ask 25 people, you will get 25 different responses! hahaha Whomever told you that obviously has a reason that they prefer that age. It would be interesting to know why they said at such a young age.

Lets see how many different answers you get. :lol:

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'd say 8 months is way too young--plus it'll take a lot longer 'til he starts looking less like your baby and more like food! They are both adorable and your view is beautiful! We have the same kind of pasture here--grass, dandelions, weeds--they'll eat most of it!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Eight months is too young. He's still considered a calf at 8 months, and still growing. If you're graining him with grass and hay, 18 to 22 months is best. Grass-fed, between 24 to 30 months of age.

You probably mentioned this before, but what are your plans with little miss Pearl?

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We're not 100% sure what to do with Minnie yet. We're thinking maybe keep her til she's 2 and get a couple of calf next spring that might need fed, dunno. Or she will just get sold off as a yearling.

I didn't figure 8 months was good for butcher on duh, crap he's just a little fart yet at 3 months

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What about getting Duh a little halter and tying him up while you feed Mini Pearl? It'd be good practice for him to get used to being tied up. Your other option would be to whack him on his pushy nose, but doesn't sound like you're there yet!

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Minnie has already had the scours. They were giving her 2 quarts of replacer three times I day, I gasped LOL. So I'm giving her 1.5 quart twice a day, should I cut back to 1 quart twice a day since she is eating pasture? I'm going to put her in the dog kennel for the night to see if she's eating any of the calf starter so I'll have a better idea of what all is going on with her. She's not skinny by any stretch of the imagination and i'm hoping it will make it so she's not so skiddish with me.

I thump Duh on his hind quarters and tell him no, that works for a few seconds lol then he's right back at it again.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
:lol: here comes a crap answer - He'll be ready when he's ready :hide
1 winter will prob sound good to you - we're on 2 winters doing strictly grassfed - ouch