Mornin' cow folks, new moo lover here with ??

Jae~b

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good morning, I am new here (swung over from byc) . I have spent several hours last few days reading posts here. Great info, nice folks and awesome pictures here.

I live in central florida, I have Lots of chickens, 2 Yorky Pigs, dogs, cats and bunnies. My horse died about 2 years ago, so I have a beautiful pasture just sitting there, green grass with noone eating it. My dh came home the other day and said a lady he has been helping (her hubby died) has offered him a Holstein calf (heifer) for free, just as a thank you for all he has done. While I would seriously love to have a cow I am scared to take one on and mess it up. I know this breed is typically a dairy moo, but she would be a meat moo here. I did a little research and saw that these girls can make excellent eaters as well.

She is on the pail? I guess that means she is taking her milk from the bucket? And she is eating grain and grass. I believe she is just about 2 months old.

So, question is, do I take her? Can you guys help me through all the mistakes I am sure to make? Would you guys use a Holstein as a beef cow? My fences are good, just going to add a hotwire to it for safety sake, been meaning to do it for a while anyway. How much vetting does a calf/cow require? We are seriously short on large animal vets in my area. Approximate age for processing ? (warning: more questions coming :lol: )

Ok I know this was a long introduction, hope ya'll can help out. :frow
Jae

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
:welcome a 2 month holstein heifer calf is a great deal esp free.just keep the calf on the same milk she is on if you can.an she drinks from a bucket.how much feed is she eating.i would not butcher her.id sell her at 15 months old as a breeding age heifer.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd!

Take her! Yes, holsteins are usually a milk breed but, can be butchered too. That is what usually happens to the bull calves-steered, raised, butchered! Being a heifer calf you would also have the great advantage of if you should decide you want a milk cow, you have one.

The fact that she is eating grain and hay good and is about 2 months means you could switch her to water instead of milk replacer. It also means the touchiest time with the calf is behind her. Oh, yes, being on a pail means she's drinking out of a bucket.

As for vet care, if she doesn't get sick you should be fine. If she gets sick post here and we can see if we can help. Yes, we will try to help you over any bumps or questions you have along the way. That is why we are here. To help each other. :)

Age of processing depends on how big you want her. I have a BIL that raises steers-some holstien, some holstein/milking shorthorn cross, and I guess a few holstein/jersey cross and they usually send them on at roughly a year. They corn feed and those guys are ready to go. I have read that for say your calf you would figure a year from this fall so you can take advantage of not only this year's pasture grass but, next year's too.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
wow! DON'T butcher her!! You can sell her for so much more! Get her a lil pasture friend and butcher that one if you want the meat :) Hols can be bred as early as a year, so you could sell her then, or keep her, breed her A.I. and sell her as a springer you could get even more $$. :welcome

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MReit said:
wow! DON'T butcher her!! You can sell her for so much more! Get her a lil pasture friend and butcher that one if you want the meat :)
That depends on the market where she is at. You and I are in dairy farm country, she's not.

But, yes, check your markets and see. Either way take her.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
MReit said:
wow! DON'T butcher her!! You can sell her for so much more! Get her a lil pasture friend and butcher that one if you want the meat :)
That depends on the market where she is at. You and I are in dairy farm country, she's not.

But, yes, check your markets and see. Either way take her.
True..we are lucky in a way, but then again not if we want to buy dairy calves..lol

Jae~b

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome here :D . I went to see the cows this morning and I can't believe it but this sweet woman told me I could have any one of the three calves she has . So decisions decisions. She has a 4 month old Hol heifer, a 3 month old Hol steer and a 3 month old Brangus heifer. I am leaning towards the Brangus because of the meat but I just don't know enough about all this. I think I need a crash course in Cow~ology.

I checked the poo in the paddock area and none seems to be loose or liquidy. All of them were bright eyed and curious about me. The little guy Holstein is the one I instantly fell in love with but is that really the right choice for a meatie?

I think the Hol heifers at breeding age do go for a nice price here, but again, I don't know about the long range plan, ie breeding, selling babies. I raise pigs and chickens and garden so we can eat food that I know is clean. My dh called the processing plant this am and found out is is about it is 75 to kill and 40c lb for basic processing. Ok, all input is appreciated and again, thank you for the welcome and advice, Jae

Ohh and yes, I could get 2, i have plenty of room, just concerned about the long range cost of keeping one as a breeder (vet bills etc)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't you just love decisions like this! I'm a dairy farmer and not so familar with the Brangus but, I do think that would probably be the better meat option. But, cattle are herd animals so if you were to get two, I would go for the holstein heifer. You can sell her at breeding age, as a springer, or keep her and milk her yourself. A nice wide range of choices there. Even with the Brangus being a heifer you would have the option of breeding her and having a small size her of your own or processing for meat.