Mountain lion help please.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would like any information you can give me about how to get rid of a mountain lion. Our neighbor lost 2 calves to it. We have a llama and a mule as predator guardians but I do not think they are going to keep it away. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kute Kitten said:
:welcome

Could you use a trap for the moutain lion?
And then do what with it? They have a large territory and if released it will return.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Mountain lion? Sheesh! You'd better be on the lookout. They can take down a fully-grown cow. A mule is a great advantage. They can REALLY help with them. But I'd be ready with a good long-shot rifle with a good bullet size, like a .223 or bigger. Get very proficient at shooting, or you could miss at the vital moment.

As for a trapped mountain lion, you shoot it. It's all you can do.

Just FYI, it turns out I've recently been doing a lot of reading on cougars and you asked this question at just the right time. And everyone else, even if you don't live in a cougar-proficient area, do some reading yourself. They are spotted sporadically throughout the US, even in New England. My DF's friend's friend saw one. In NH.

Keep your eyes open. 200 pounds of deadly force is enough to kill nearly all farm animals.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our DNR released them here. Then when one is spotted they act surprised. :rolleyes: Luckily there aren't many here and they haven't been a problem.