Mountain lion help please.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you. We just lost some poultry. I do not know if it was the lion or what. I have a twenty two rifle and will try to get better at using it. They are not supposed to exist here but some conservation agents are introducing them here. I know a man who shot one and put it in his freezer because he wanted to show it to people. Some conservation agents showed up and said they wanted the mountain lion. He pretended he did not know what they were talking about. They said it had a tag in its ear and had not moved for 3 days. It makes me sick that they are bringing them into our area.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh yeah...... they "don't live in our area" either. Fish and Game would have to pay losses on livestock if they did exist. even more than that, I just wish they would educate the public on them. I really don't think that by them pretending they're not here is helping anyone.....lions included. :rant

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WARNING!!! A .22 rifle is NOT something that you should be shooting a mountain lion with. DO NOT shoot it with a .22. This rifle is woefully underpowered for something as large as a mountain lion. All you will do is wound it, and potentially make it more dangerous.

A .22 rifle does not have anywhere near the penetration power needed to hit a vital organ in a mountain lion. You need at least a .243 or larger to be sure of getting a clean kill.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
do not ever try shooting a moutain lion with a 22.because as said it will not kill him.only wound an make him madd.an a wounded lion will go on the attack.as said you need a rifle like a 243 or 30 06.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
and remember, no one o here is reccomending you go out and shoot one, only if you need to protect yourself. ;)

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
and remember, no one o here is reccomending you go out and shoot one, only if you need to protect yourself. ;)
Nice disclaimer. :)

And yes, NEVER use a .22 on anything bigger than a cat.

Edit: House cat, I mean. :p

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kute Kitten said:
Don't use it on a small cat. Indoor or outdoor cat.
Sometimes it's just a necessary of life. If the animal is suffering then it needs to be put down. A .22 will work on a down cow that you can walkup to and shoot directly in the head between the eyes.