Moving goats long distance.. help!

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are accepting a job today in Colorado. that means relocating from eastern NC to Colorado Springs. or about 1700 miles.. roughly 30 hours of drive time. We have 2 goats and want to take them with us. We are selling our chickens.. sadly I don't think we could take them with us.

so.. what is the easiest way to transport 2 goats that distance? any advice or comments would be helpful.
Thanks!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I'm not really sure. That is a long distance. It's a shame to see a fellow North Carolinian go. Best of luck on that move though!!

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I would think a hauler in the back of a truck would work and let the goats out to stretch their legs and browse a little at rest stops. Queen Mum transported her goats a long way when moving. Maybe she'll be along to give advice.

NC to Colorado is a big weather change. Hope you like snow and cold winters! Big environment change too. Different predators and terrain. I hope where you are going already has fencing up for the goats. Good luck with your move.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My wife is originally from CO, her uncle has a farm out there with cows/goats/sheep, he will be taking care of our goats till' we get settled. So they have a place to stay as soon as they get there. I figure that we are going to have to drive it straight through.. not a lot of hotels accept goats hehe.
I have been looking for a campershell for my truck, but it's a stepside, and the shells are few and hard to find... Dog boxes are expensive, and pretty small. I am looking for small trailers now.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
First, you need to get a health certificate for both goats. If a state trooper stops you and asks for health papers and you don't have them, they could confiscate the goats. You would need to have a vet check them out and find out what Colorado requires for a health certificate. Then do whatever the state of Colorado asks for.

What type of vehicle do you have? Will you be using a trailer? Sure you can transport them but it would help to know what you have to transport them with.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Take water with you from home, several gallons. Your goats may need to transition to the taste of the 'new' water gradually....and might not like the taste of water along the way and you don't want them dehydrated on a trip when they're already nervous / upset.

If you can, take them in a truck topper or enclosed box (with ventilation, of course) in the back of a truck would be best. You don't want them in high-speed winds long term.

Give them probiotics when you leave and 1x a day for a few days after you've arrived, and check to see if the brand / type of hay / feed is available where you're going, and if not, take that too...you want to make *any* changes gradual for them.

Don't worry about stopping every 3-4 hrs to exercise them....they lay around for 8 hrs or more at a time at night / in winter...arriving quicky / faster will do them more good than several short breaks in wierd surroundings will.

Make sure whatever they're riding in isn't too hot or too cold.

Be prepared w/ a funny story when you stop and they scream and people look at you funny.

"My mother in law ....we're taking her back to the nuthouse" or something.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
First, you need to get a health certificate for both goats. If a state trooper stops you and asks for health papers and you don't have them, they could confiscate the goats. You would need to have a vet check them out and find out what Colorado requires for a health certificate. Then do whatever the state of Colorado asks for.

What type of vehicle do you have? Will you be using a trailer? Sure you can transport them but it would help to know what you have to transport them with.
My wife is a Veterinarian, she has all the health certificates under control. and they will have scrapie info/tattoos this weekend

I have a 99 ford ranger stepside, I have been looking for a camper shell for it, but they are pretty rare... I may wind up getting or making a dog box like thing for the bed.
I may build a cage/box for them out of wood, that may be the most cost effective way. Cover the top and leave ventilation in the sides. It may not be pretty, but it will work i guess.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would consider giving them something like Bovi-sera serum to help their immune system for the trip and make sure they are up to date on their vaccinations, I would consider a pnuemonia vaccination as well.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
on the plus side for them, we are looking at a house with 40 acres. and another with 10 acres. that would be a lot more room for them, as they have a little less than an acre to roam on now hehe.

Their "temporary home" at our uncles farm has 20 acres. If they can just bear with us and endure the ride, they will be better off, and we can get them some friends too :)

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
they will be fine, whatever you do. just bed them deeply with shaving on bottom and straw on top. a hay net and a half ful water bucket(full will only slosh all over). when you stop for gas, clean the bucket and offer fresh water fom home and maybe a bite or two of their favorite treat, but mostly hay. would not unload them for anything but an emergency, too chancy of them getting loose and running scared. a box in the truck would be great, with holes for ventillation. just be sure it is sturdy and tall enough for the goats to stand up comfortably. they will probably lay down when moving, but jump right up when you stop. prepare for wet windy weather as well as warm(that time of year). also do put a hinged door or gate with easy access as you will be getting in there every time you stop. let wife pack any necessary meds you may need along the way