my goat likes my neighbors horses

hobbz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My 3 goats are starting to settle down, buy the previous owner had horses too and now my oldest keeps escaping and going to the neighbors horses. Luckily he doesn't care and just puts her in a stall in his barn for me.

I redid my fence today with 5 strands of polyrope spaced about 6" apart. the goat keeps looking towards the neighbors eventhough there is a hill in between us. I am afraid my goat is gonna try to break free again. Is there anything I can do besides get rid of the goat? I don't wanna keep it chained up.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How strong is the shock on the fence? I like somewhere upward of 5,000V for a goat.. Once they get trained to it, it generally takes more than "Hey, there's a horse!" to make them cross.

We actually keep rutting bucks and cycling does apart with electric alone; if ever there was a reason to cross, that would be it....but it works.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My two LOVE our pony LOL... They too came from a place that had horses(and a freakishly cute donkey!) and everytime they escape they go straight to Luna's paddock and attempt to break in. They never figure it out though, despite the fact that at the bit of fence they like to go to the last rail is higher up than their backs LOL. Silly goats.

hobbz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
the fence is on a 50 mile charger. The furthest point is 7,600v so it should do the job. so far today since i have put them back in, they have stayed away from the fence. Lets hope they behave.

On a plus note, one of them decided to eat some leaves out of my hand this evening.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You definitely don't want to chain up your goat, unless, of course, you're going to stare at her while she's chained.... :th

She will learn to respect the fencing, one way or another. The one thing I have learned is that you cannot assume that if/when the battery dies or the circuit has blown they will still respect the fence. Mine is on a battery and if I miss that the battery needs charging they start combing the fence for their chance to poke their heads through (I only have two strands of wire running inside the fence line which is 4x4 farm fencing - not goat fencing, hence the wire!). They don't necessarily charge the fence or jump over/under when the battery dies, but they don't fear it any more.

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You could always get your goat her own horse!

:p

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hobbz said:
My 3 goats are starting to settle down, buy the previous owner had horses too and now my oldest keeps escaping and going to the neighbors horses. Luckily he doesn't care and just puts her in a stall in his barn for me.

I redid my fence today with 5 strands of polyrope spaced about 6" apart. the goat keeps looking towards the neighbors eventhough there is a hill in between us. I am afraid my goat is gonna try to break free again. Is there anything I can do besides get rid of the goat? I don't wanna keep it chained up.
If it were to become an issue again.... You could put a"drag chaim" on temporarily. What i call a "drag chain" is a length of chain around their neck with a tail that hangs almost to the ground. If that chain hits the fence... it really helps give them a good zap ! We used it on our Alpine bucks...years ago and they did not go thru the fences.

hobbz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Mea said:
hobbz said:

If it were to become an issue again.... You could put a"drag chaim" on temporarily. What i call a "drag chain" is a length of chain around their neck with a tail that hangs almost to the ground. If that chain hits the fence... it really helps give them a good zap ! We used it on our Alpine bucks...years ago and they did not go thru the fences.
i might have to try that. thanks