my pygmy is sick?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ahh, okay, I see what you are saying.
Yes, now Purina brand Noble Goat is a pellet and Purina Show Chow is just a pellet, you may consider either of those if you think picking will be a problem. Regular goat grain is typically just that, mixed grains and some goats will pick the goodies out.

Yes, the Calf Pac is probably much like the probios tubed version I am familiar with, just in powder form. You could probably drench that if needed.

Yep, you are right, the sweet feed was bad, did they tell you how much of that he was eating? If he was used to getting lots of sweet feed, the regular goat chow shouldn't have hurt him.....goat chow typically is corn, pellets, oats, sunflower seeds wetted with molasses....
I have to wonder if something else may have been going on?
How old was he and how much did he weigh?

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
omg I just read this I am so very sorry for your loss. :hugs I recently lost half of my herd (6) in three weeks to something I now know I could have easily prevented if I just had known what I was doing wrong. I can defiantly feel you pain.

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sugar's not picking through it so that's good!

He would have been been 6 wks old yesterday. He weighed 10.5 lbs.

I was told when he was given to me that they didn't think he was growing much. But then again his diet wasn't good.

Also learned that his mom and dad have never been vaccinated.
Oh well, guess not much I can do now other than keep Sugar healthy.

I am looking for another one and got some emails about males. Of course her brother is still available. Not sure what I'm gonna do just yet?

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm sorry :(, there are so many variables and a real learning process. I have a notebook and write everything down-all the details-and what was done. Then if anything happens again, you can look at it on paper. It could have been coccidiosis--or an overload of worms. It is very difficult when one works so hard to save a life, but still lose it. :(.

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Checked him for worms and coccidia twice and was neg. He was dewormed right before I got him.

As far as a log, I have one started for goats:) have one for breeder birds and my tarantulas too.

I don't think I'll get another one as young as him.