My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congratulations !!! on the lambie. The way You describe her... there oughta be more than one in there. Hope all goes well for her. At least, being night time... it is a tiny bit cooler.

:weee Yay !! for little lambies !!! :love

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pics of his first meal....that tail was twirling like a helicopter!

82_first_lamb_036.jpg

BriteChicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Aw what a cutie! Congrats!

Did you ever figure out if the dark fluid was another lamb or the after birth?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Congrats! Looking at his size and her size, I'd be surprised if she had another! He's a cutie!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aggie, you are correct...she only had one and she is doing fine. I never did see what I thought the afterbirth would look like...at least what a human's look like. She did expell a long string of tissue with bloody pockets of this or that but she had no interest in eating it and this was given to the dogs.

She and the lamb are doing great and she is eating and drinking well...and so is the babe. I named him Sweetwater Mo's Slow Moonshine for obvious reasons, but more than likely we will call him Slo-Mo for short. :p

She is a good and gentle mama and becomes very concerned if he is out of her sight. He is soft....so very soft..not like the woolly breeds at all. More like a puppy.

Our kitten, Percy Jackson, helped with the whole delivery and he is very proud of his lamb. :D

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the delivery, I can try to download the whole sequence one day and post it...it is rather graphic and messy, though. :p

82_first_lamb_039.jpg

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Aggie, you are correct...she only had one and she is doing fine. I never did see what I thought the afterbirth would look like...at least what a human's look like. She did expell a long string of tissue with bloody pockets of this or that but she had no interest in eating it and this was given to the dogs.

She and the lamb are doing great and she is eating and drinking well...and so is the babe. I named him Sweetwater Mo's Slow Moonshine for obvious reasons, but more than likely we will call him Slo-Mo for short. :p

She is a good and gentle mama and becomes very concerned if he is out of her sight. He is soft....so very soft..not like the woolly breeds at all. More like a puppy.

Our kitten, Percy Jackson, helped with the whole delivery and he is very proud of his lamb. :D

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the delivery, I can try to download the whole sequence one day and post it...it is rather graphic and messy, though. :p

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/82_first_lamb_039.jpg
Aww, Slo-Mo. :lol: And yes, I love how soft hair sheep lambs are compared to the kinky tight curls of wool breed lambs!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
He went out on pasture with mom this evening and seems to love his new big world! I love the way they hop and skip! :love

This raising sheep is pretty fun at times, isn't it? :)

I really enjoy watching them and seeing how beautiful they have become...well..except Mo. I don't think anyone would call her beautiful but I have noticed a difference in her since the baby was born...she carries herself like a mother! Head more erect, ears less floppy, much more vigilant...like she aged overnight.

She somehow seems more....graceful and purposeful.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
He went out on pasture with mom this evening and seems to love his new big world! I love the way they hop and skip! :love
I was looking out the window yesterday and saw a guinea run across the pasture....with the lamb in hot pursuit bounding after him. :lol: They're hilarious to watch!

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lamb shenanigans. That's what my sheeple friend calls them. She loves it when her adult sheep do it still. :)