My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
She is still eating...... :rolleyes:
You know how I mentioned some ewes eat w/ the baby bubble hanging out? That was Darla on Saturday! :lol:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad to know that someone else has a pig instead of a sheep! :lol:

Mine is still eating...... no lambs. :( She looks miserable when she lays down. Can't curl her legs up like the others but must sprawl uncomfortably and struggles to get to her feet. I know how she feels..... :rolleyes: :p :lol:

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm glad to know that someone else has a pig instead of a sheep! :lol:

Mine is still eating...... no lambs. :( She looks miserable when she lays down. Can't curl her legs up like the others but must sprawl uncomfortably and struggles to get to her feet. I know how she feels..... :rolleyes: :p :lol:
Why is she keeping us waiting?! :barnie I can't wait to see what she has!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
NO!!!! :he :barnie

Her back end is so swollen and she is so very dropped...I can't see how she can NOT have these lambs! :barnie

Her udder is swollen so tight that the teats are sticking out to the sides and are turned pink.

And she is still eating her fool head off and acting like she has no sweater larvae inside her waiting to come out!!!! :rant

I realllllllly want to see my first lambs come out....I'm hoping that God will allow me that much, as I've never seen lambs born. I've seen cows, horses, dogs, cats, etc. Never any lambs. :fl

I'm thinking she was the ugly sheep of the bunch and got bred when he finally ran out of pretty gals! :p

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I were a betting person, I would bet that those lambs will come this weekend. She is not grazing as much as she normally does and seems to have a forlorn look to her today. She perks up a little when I come to her but she looks.....worried.

She is obviously uncomfortable when she walks or lies down and is very swollen around her vulva. She is not in labor or anything but she does seem to be less comfortable and not in her normal I'm so hungry that I might die if I don't eat something, anything, right now! mode.

I fed the other gals some broccoli leaves and she just lipped a few of them and walked away.

I hope, I hope, I hope!!!! :fl

BriteChicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I can feel it today is a birthing day I woke up to three chicks in my incubator and there was a pretty full moon last night. :fl

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking in the middle of the night, Brite! Full moon? Bound to have something goin' on out there!

She still hasn't gone and it is sooooooooo hot here today! I'm hoping, for her sake, she has them in the cool of the morning, evening or at night. Too hot to be having babies...... :cool:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guess what??? I have a new ram lamb!!! :celebrate :weee :woot :ya

The dogs came down to the house and alerted me to something going on. Upon investigation (I had been checking every so often today anyway), I noticed the ewe with a bag of amniotic fluid hanging from her vulva. It burst while I was watching.

She didn't seem in much distress but was calling out and approached me when I went up in the orchard to her. I lured her down to the lambing pen with the feed bucket....of course, she was still thinking about food! She ate a good bait of feed and then started to have some labor pains.

She couldn't lie down and couldn't stand up...and I remembered that feeling! I felt so sorry for her! She finally had a few hooves peeking out but couldn't seem to get much further. About 45 min. after the birth sac had broken, I decided to help her in just the littlest way...

I gently pulled on the feet of this lamb and she seemed to understand that I was helping her because she seriously started to push and didn't seem to mind my presence. As soon as the lamb's forehead cleared the vulva, the rest was easy and she expelled him all by herself.

Nice big ram lamb for this size of ewe! She is a good mother and has been licking and chuckling to him...I love that sound! :love

Now...question:
She still looks pretty big to me and there is another sac of fluid hanging out of her...this one is a darker hue than the previous one and somewhat smaller but definitely fluid and not the afterbirth.

Could this mean she will have another?

I have dial-up so the process is slow but am currently downloading some pics of the new guy...haven't thought of a name yet.

First pic...will try to download more later and will try to post some of the birth if anyone is interested.

82_first_lamb_027.jpg

82_first_lamb_020.jpg

ETA: This pic looks fine on my computer and even on the upload site on this forum but for some reason has come out blurry on this post. Not sure what to do about that.