My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
FootrotFootrot is one of the most economically devastating diseases in the sheep industry. It is caused by the interaction of two anaerobic bacteria: Bacteroides nodosus, which can only live in the animal's hoof; and Fusobacterium necrophorum, which is a normal inhabitant of soil and sheep manure.

Lameness in one or more feet is the most common symptom of footrot, though not all lame sheep have footrot. Footrot has a characteristic foul odor. Footrot can be controlled and/or eradicated by a combination of hoof trimming, vaccination, foot bathing and soaking and culling. Zinc sulfate is considered to be the most effective foot rot treatment. Footrot is highly contagious.

Foot Scald (benign footrot and ovine interdigital dermatitis)
Foot scald causes the tissues between the sheep's toes become blanched or white, or red and swelled. It is caused by a soil bacteria that is present in most environments and manifests itself during wet conditions. It is easier to treat than foot rot. Placing sheep in a dry area away from mud may clear the condition. Individual animals can be treated with Koppertox. Groups of animals may be treated with a zinc sulfate foot bath.
This fella's ram didn't look to have any rot or disease....just overgrown hooves. I didn't see or smell anything different than just long, overgrown hooves. Nice dry pastures and all.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, folks....I trimmed my first sheep hooves tonight! :D It was easy and I was very impressed with how well my gals took being messed with this time.

There is just something about sheep that I find to admire just about every day.....this is the first time these girls were turned up on their ends and subdued, totally helpless, in this manner. They acted like they had done this every day, that they were very trusting of what we were doing and they didn't act flighty or angry when we were done! I was amazed! :)

I also found out something interesting about the bottom of a sheep...did you know they have very big glands on either side of their udder, from which a brownish liquid seeps? I assume it has something to do with their heat cycle but I've never seen this on an animal before. Deer have them on the inside of their hocks and on their heads....none by their udders.

It did not have a foul smell....it was just a little crusty.

I also checked peri-orbital membranes and they seemed a healthy pink, as well as did their gums. I bolused with pure, fresh-squeezed garlic juice, UP/ACV and water for a probiotic, deworming tonic also.

These gals have had no commercial de-worming agents since 3 mo. after they were born, given by the original farmer. They are now 14 mo. old.....I find this very satisfactory and I hope their good health continues.

I have used a combination of Shaklees soap, garlic, pumpkin seeds for their de-worming program this year. I've used the ACV for a probiotics boost and I've used sea kelp/salt for their minerals in the warm months and a regular mineral block in the winter.

No grains except for treats on occasion...just to let them know who has the candy! ;) Other than that, they have been grass-fed and had hay for winter feed.

Anyone else trying a more natural approach to their animal husbandry? Successful? What are you trying?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So....went shopping for a ram today and found one to borrow and one to eventually buy when he matures.

The one I am borrowing is a Katahdin by the name of Big Moe and he is the sweetest thing! Nice conformation, good disposition, good wool shedding, good health. All his lambs are healthy, big and many are twins.

The ram lamb I have my eye on is half white Dorper and half Katahdin. He is a sturdy twin, black with white speckles and spots on his face and a few on his body. Adorable!!!!

I can't wait to get Big Moe on Friday and am hoping that my gals will settle down their silly ways once they are bred. I wouldn't mind having Big Moe for keeps but I know my farmer friend would not part with him.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, free....do they need it!!! I can't wait to see how they react to him!

I had been petting him and then came home to visit with the Bettys.....Black Betty kept licking my hands and licking her lips like she could taste him! :lol: I'd never seen her lick my hands like that, even with treat giving.

Oh, yeah....the girls are ready to settle down to the pitter patter of little hooves. :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, Big Moe came to Sweetwater Farm on Friday night. After many head-butting sessions between him and Ugly Betty, things have settled down.

The girls aren't in heat right now but I'm sure they will now that Moe is here to tease them. He is like a big puppy dog and follows me around right along with the Bettys, waiting for a treat.

He makes me nervous following me that closely, so I'm always watching him. I'm sure he is more or less a nice ram, but put a human between him and a feed bucket and I'm sure he can be quite a problem.

The dogs are watching him closely and Lucy lines him out if he gets too nasty to the girls in their sparring sessions.

The poor guy hadn't been out on grass yet this year and his owner said he didn't mind if he went on full grass...said he didn't worry about such things as bloating and grass tetany with his sheep. He must know what he is talking about because that big ram hasn't had his nose out of rich, green grass since he came here!!! I've never seen such a hungry sheep in my life! :th He is voracious!!!

Can't wait until those lambs start popping out! Big Moe's lambs are all twins or triplets, all have a lot of brown/red markings on them and are all sturdy, fat lambs. I can't wait to see what comes from a white/red roan ram and black/white ewes.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I have no way of knowing, without a breeding harness, if Big Moe has performed his task of breeding, I have been looking for obvious signs of some sort.....like he and the Bettys lounging around, smoking cigs or something..... :lol:

Anyhoo, I noticed the Betty's tail heads were very mussed today and was wondering if this would be an indication of some breeding activity going on....anyone know if this could be so?

I haven't seen him acting in the typical, lip-curling behaviour of rams around ewes in heat, so I'm wondering if I'm just being hopefully optimistic on this point? :hu

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
My does backsides were rather....er....sticky....but my buckling needed a GPS for the first few attempt, remember? :lol:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! :lol: This guy is an old hand....er...ram...at breeding, so I'm sure he can hit the mark....and their tails did look a little more than mussed. They did look a little sticky come to think of it...... :sick

I am so hoping...... :fl

You know? I am really enjoying this ram experience and I hope my young ram will be this sweet. Big Moe is just a big ol' baby! He holds real still and closes his eyes while I pick the wool he is shedding....must feel good to him.

There is NO WAY the Bettys would hold still or even let me get hold of their wool in any way...even after all this time.