My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My critters do that to me too. They strike some really cute or bizzare pose, I run into the house to get the camera and they do boring stuff again. :rolleyes:
Then I walk around with the camera for an hour or two, getting pictures of the corn growing....

I wish I had a barn and just a wee bit more land and maybe lived in the country....

At least I got what I got. And I love my goats, and dog and chickens and funny bunny and kitty cats.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got my winter hay! :weee :celebrate :ya

Now...if I could just squeeze that lamb out of that sheeple.... :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still haven't had a lamb from Black Betty but she is hanging mighty low right now....any day.... :fl

Here is an updated pic of Fats(aka Slo-Mo), at 3.5 mo. and his mother, Mo:

82_dewley_and_wedding_013.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know? He is so much bigger than the Bettys when they were 5 months old and he is only 3.5 mo. Not sure why that is but he is a great lamb.

Aggie, Black Betty has been having a real snotty nose and an occasional cough. I've looked up the symptoms and they suggest she might have fly bots, which is reasonable for the time this started.

I found a great website where a lady has managed this by using garlic but its purely anecdotal. The first time she encountered it she used an Ivermectin drench, which is the recommended treatment.

I'd like to go with the garlic first, as I haven't bolused my sheep for some time and they are due. I'd also like to use a garlic and saline nasal flush~I'd make sure her head was down, of course~does this sound like it may help?

Here is the website article:

http://www.skylinesfarm.com/parasitenasalbots.htm

abooth

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bee maybe I misunderstood the article ( and I know you weren't asking me) but it sounds like once the sheep were showing symptoms she felt compelled to use the Ivomec and the garlic was purely preventative. That is my take on the info provided.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
You know? He is so much bigger than the Bettys when they were 5 months old and he is only 3.5 mo. Not sure why that is but he is a great lamb.

Aggie, Black Betty has been having a real snotty nose and an occasional cough. I've looked up the symptoms and they suggest she might have fly bots, which is reasonable for the time this started.

I found a great website where a lady has managed this by using garlic but its purely anecdotal. The first time she encountered it she used an Ivermectin drench, which is the recommended treatment.

I'd like to go with the garlic first, as I haven't bolused my sheep for some time and they are due. I'd also like to use a garlic and saline nasal flush~I'd make sure her head was down, of course~does this sound like it may help?

Here is the website article:

http://www.skylinesfarm.com/parasitenasalbots.htm
Hmm, I'm not sure if a nasal flush would work. I've never done it on an animal. I'd imagine it would be hard to keep them from inhaling through the nose while being flushed, and I'd be afraid that would lead to problems.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
abooth said:
Bee maybe I misunderstood the article ( and I know you weren't asking me) but it sounds like once the sheep were showing symptoms she felt compelled to use the Ivomec and the garlic was purely preventative. That is my take on the info provided.
Yeah...I gathered that part. But was wondering if it works as a preventative, might it also work as a treatment? If the fly bots dislike the garlic taste of the blood/tissues, maybe it would kill it in some way? How would the garlic prevent them if it wasn't a deterrent in some way?

I'd really, really like to NOT use Ivermectin. I'm not so convinced of its all-purpose use for everything....seems like all the vets want you to practically give it IV to all these animals.

Every time they come up with a wonder drug like this in the human field of medicine we find out a few years later that it had devastating and long term side affects.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of one of my new LGDs in training...introducing my new Newfie mix, Dewley. His sister, Shane, will be arriving tomorrow.

5_dewley_and_wedding_011.jpg

5_dewley_and_wedding_004.jpg