My whether has started bullying me-have to get rid of him

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I just want to say it's not common for bottle fed *castrated* males to be aggressive. I don't want people to be scared off from bottle feeding pet wethers.

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
HB Sheep & Goat Farm said:
Here's my advice. Do NOT bottle feed any male animal. They get very very aggressive when they get grown. And as far as the one you have now, invest in a cattle prod. When he acts like he's going to hit you, give him a good dose of it. If that doesn't solve the problem Id sell him.
I would just like to say with all due respect, that disagree will all points. My buck was bottle fed after his mother died. And a cattle prod is not meant for goats and will make them meaner. There are other ways to discourage bad behaviour.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would not sell a problem animal. Better off in the freezer. That is unfair to pawn off a problem to someone else. Especially if you don't disclose the problem.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First, I've never had to retrain such an aggressive adult goat so I don't think I have much to offer. I don't know if an e-collar would work on a goat or not.

Second, I agree with ksalvagno - unless you tend to completely disclose all reasons for selling him it's unfair (wrong) to sell/give him to someone else. A new owner should know exactly what his bad issues are so they can make an informed decision on taking on those problems.

Third - wethers normally make the BEST pets. Most wethers (whether they are bottle raised or doe raised) are the sweetest, best choice for a companion animal for both people and other animals. When any male (and females for that matter) is bottle raised there should be some basic rules followed by the person so that the boy does not ever feel he is 'ruler' over people. Animals HAVE to understand that they are lower on the totem pole than all humans... always. The biggest negative with bottle raised babies is that they weren't taught to respect human space... that's just a failure on the person who raised them (and a really easy failure I might... they are SOOOOO cute and adorable you tend to let them get away with everything!!!).

Some things to remember with all goats:
1) Never push against or pet them on the top of their head. Pet them behind their ears (neck side) or under their chin or elsewhere on their body. When they feel pressure on their heads they naturally want to push back.. that encourages butting.
2) Never allow goats (even cute, adorable babies) to jump up on people. (So, I've been guilty of sidestepping this rule with my Nigerian kids... SO cute and I love to have them on my lap... BUT, that means that I have to retrain them later and that's harder. I learned that with my first doe - she's 80 some pounds now and loves to sit on my lap.) I, personally, never allow a full size goat breed to jump on my legs, my lap, my back, etc. even when they are only a few days old... don't let the behavior start.
3) Don't let a goat rub against your leg with it's head (horned or disbudded) - again, that's a dominant gesture. They should always respect your space. My goats all come up for my attention but they stand next to me... not against me and I pet and rub them all over their favorite spots.
4) Don't let a goat 'paw' at you for attention (another mistake I made with my first girl).. it hurts when they are adults, they can dirty up your clothes real quickly and it's dangerous when they do it to a small child for attention.).
When you are training or working with any animal as a baby think about the behavior when they are an adult. If you don't want that cute, 2 lb. kid jumping against you when he is 120 lbs. Don't let him jump at 2 lbs. If you don't want that baby sucking on your fingers when they are an adult and can 'crunch' then don't allow it as a baby. Make sense?

Good luck.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
First, I would NOT leave my son near him.

2nd, if you can't figure a way to fix him, I would take him to the stockyards. Anyone buying there is buying for meat most the time, and if they are buying for some other reason, they shouldn't be shocked to end up with a problem animal. Unless you really don't mind butchering him or eating him, or just having him put down.

Just my opinion, You are going to get a huge range of opinions on such a topic.

Good luck with everything.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would never use a cattle prod on a goat! However a sharp slap across their nose, spritz of water, with bucks you can even kick them a little if they're being bad. If it's really bad you can trip them/get them to the ground, or you can carry a horse riding crop which, with a loud NO, will indicate something bad. If all else fails, you can always sell him.

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I never found that bottle feeding did any harm as long as they were raised right. The farm I work at bottle raises every goat that is born (to prevent CAE) and they all turn out fine, even the boys. Chirpy has some really good advice, and depending on how bad the situation is you might be able to correct his behavior. Good Luck!

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i think just putting them in a pen away from the house and people for a start. then you get to pick your battles with them, and your son won't be afraid to walk outside. i have been given several "mean" goats. just never stood still for them to ram me, or butt me, and if they did i had a big stick to whack across the nose. this is where you getting to pick the time and place for the encounter is crucial. arrange your pen so they can be safely fed and watered from outside their encloser.

melody

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey Chicks and Ducks:
I had a similar problem with a ewe this summer/fall. She suddenly got aggressive and dangerous. I am just writing to let you know that I see many of the same names posting here that helped me. We ended up separating the older lamb and she went back to her original farm, and mama ewe had to be sent back to the void.
Sometimes, just like in parenting, you may do EVERYTHING right, and your desired outcome does not manifest.
I know the feeling of hurt ...almost betrayal, you may be feeling with all the love you gave . I miss my ewe..she was a real cuddler to start too.
As I was advised...they teach each other behavior and this is not a trait you want to pass on. I already see one of my little nigerian dwarf goats doing this to the cat...and she learned it from the sheep this summer.
I'd say give the wrestling to the ground and pinning him as your last resort, if you are up for it.
If not or if there is no improvement....I agree, he will probably need to be relocated here or..'eleswhere.'