natural goat wormers and lice question

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
first,,, who uses natural dewormers and what do you use? I am milking goats this year and I would like a natural safe dewormer that will be ok when my kids drink the milk..

I also noticed some lice on my goats this morning.. I just wormed them about a week ago w/ ivermectin.. what can i use for the lice? I have does to kid any day now so it has to be safe for the babies.... is there a safe dust or spray?

thanks...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would do a second and possibly a third dose of Ivomec 10-14 days apart. The only natural thing I know of to use for lice is garlic and that might make the milk taste off.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Sevin dust, CyLence...all will get the lice if the ivermec didn't (but it SHOULD have - are you sure you dosed right?)

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I dosed right but have never had luck w/ ivermectin getting the lice this time a year.. I was even told by the vet years ago that it would kill the lice but it didnt.. I plan on deworming again the day after kidding.. I will try the sevin dust...... I seem to get lice this time a year but they only last a month and then gone, i just hate lice on the babies

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
mistee said:
I dosed right but have never had luck w/ ivermectin getting the lice this time a year.. I was even told by the vet years ago that it would kill the lice but it didnt.. I plan on deworming again the day after kidding.. I will try the sevin dust...... I seem to get lice this time a year but they only last a month and then gone, i just hate lice on the babies
How are you administering the ivomec? Orally? Also, what's the dosage you're using?

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've been using Hoegger's Herbal DeWormer since that is what came with my goats and DE internally. I plan to eventually switch to Fir Meadows herbal wormer. So far it seems to be working well. I haven't run fecals, but most of them are pretty healthy on the FAMACHA chart.

For lice I would use DE as a dusting, and then again 2 weeks? (when eggs hatch) later.

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i am giving the ivomec 1cc per 30 pounds,, what seems to work best here.. I have nigerians and 1 fainter.. I will get some DE tomorrow... If the babies are born before I get it will it hurt them? My fainter was due yesterday and she is in barn looking like she could go anytime.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know about the ivomec, I know nothing about it. But the DE is a totally natural product. Basically is is the fossils of tiny little sea creatures that has been dried and then ground up really fine. The only thing you need to be careful about is breathing it in. DO NOT buy pool DE is that is a different product and is harmful.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
mistee said:
i am giving the ivomec 1cc per 30 pounds,, what seems to work best here.. I have nigerians and 1 fainter.. I will get some DE tomorrow... If the babies are born before I get it will it hurt them? My fainter was due yesterday and she is in barn looking like she could go anytime.
Where you have kids due any moment, get PYthon livestock insecticide Dust. It is the only one that is completely safe to use on newborn kids and lactating animals. It has no withdrawl time. ;)

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The link the mod shared on the other thread to the Python label says it's hazardous to humans and animals... wash skin immediately, etc. I'm assuming this means you wouldn't want to ingest it, so even if it has no withdrawal time what's to prevent the dust from drifting into your milk? Also, you'd be getting it on your skin and clothes when handling them... doesn't it seem safer to give the ivomec injectable?

Also, I am SO not trying to start a fight here and get this thread closed as well so let's not get crazy with the winking this time. :p I haven't dealt with mites before so I'm just curious. :hide