Need a little help from my friends 🤪

LearningSheep

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for this looong answer. Hoping to cover all answers for you:
THIS is why I asked here ;) So THANK YOU for taking the time!!!

While "let's get this child showing" may be laudable, if the person you talk to (the receptionist?) does not know the County and State Rules, your child may have a problem entering and showing. Since she is not in a 4-H or FFA program where her project leader/teacher would know the rules and could advise you, it will be YOUR responsibility to get a copy of the rules (County AND State) and read them.
I agree with your points here - and prior to talking to her had looked at the state rules (albeit not closely, but I will!!!) - nothing stood out as being an issue for her.
Because your daughter is not a member of a recognized youth organization she will be showing her market lamb as an Independent Exhibitor. Independent Exhibitors have rules that are set out in the State Rules which may be different from FFA and 4-H Rules or local rules. The strictest rules (usually the State Rules) will govern. The required ownership of market animals depends on species. Lambs, goats, and hogs must be owned by the child 60 days prior to Fair date.
This was one of the questions I had when I called and left a message this morning w/ the fair office. As for ownership, we are good.
IMPORTANT: Worm the lamb now to make sure it does not have a parasite load that will slow down the rate of gain.
I did not consider this - so THANK YOU. I will get on it!

Training for the show ring:
All very good points! We did look up videos on youtube when she decided this - so the halter situation we already discussed, however her point was - I have to get him from his pen to the ring, this makes the safest/most reasonable option to train him. I had difficulty arguing this point of view as she was considering that the fairgrounds would be busy/hectic and she is concerned for overall safety.
Shearing:
Our Katahdin ram came to us with 2 years worth of wool so he was a HUGE lesson in shearing 🤣. I did suggest that she get him use to the sound of the clippers - but I also like your suggestion of an older/more experienced kiddo getting paid to help us out.
The livestock barn will be a place where your child will make lifelong friends and your whole family will have more fun than you can imagine!
Both of my kids have raced dirtbikes and grown large communities from that, however I 100% agree this is just another opportunity to expand and build friendships.

Pictures of her putting the scrapie tag on her boy... she employed her brother to hold him and dad was showing her were to place it (after consulting the internet).
IMG_5594.jpeg IMG_5598.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
so the halter situation we already discussed, however her point was - I have to get him from his pen to the ring, this makes the safest/most reasonable option to train him.
Definitely halter break all auction livestock for ease in handline, exercising, washing, etc. I was only referring to in the actual show ring.

Sounds like she is on track to do well.

Soon you will be a "show mom". A "show mom" the unfortunate mother we all see standing outside the entry gate loaded down with halters, extra rubber bands for the armband (to replace the ones that break just as the child enters the showring), grooming tools, water bottles that the child was drinking from as she was called into the ring, etc. while trying to get pictures with her camera or phone. :lol:
There should be prizes for us!

LearningSheep

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Definitely halter break all auction livestock for ease in handline, exercising, washing, etc. I was only referring to in the actual show ring.

Sounds like she is on track to do well.

Soon you will be a "show mom". A "show mom" the unfortunate mother we all see standing outside the entry gate loaded down with halters, extra rubber bands for the armband (to replace the ones that break just as the child enters the showring), grooming tools, water bottles that the child was drinking from as she was called into the ring, etc. while trying to get pictures with her camera or phone. :lol:
There should be prizes for us!
I've been a "race mom" for dirtbikes (harescrambles) since the girl was 5. (She just turned 14 in May) I can handle holding all the things 🤣 My backpack for races will become multipurpose now - instead of dirtbike parts/tools it will be show tools!

She reported today while working on bracing this morning, "Bam acted like he was alseep! As long as I feed him first he will do WHATEVER I want." The kid is determined, but as my cousin informed me, 2nd borns have a drive the 1st dont because there is an innate fear of being "kicked out of the nest". 🤣🤣🤣

@Ridgetop any suggestions on a wormer? We have *thankfully - knocking on the wood buffet next to me* not had a need to obtain a wormer, yet. But I want to get er done.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been a "race mom" for dirtbikes (harescrambles) since the girl was 5. (She just turned 14 in May) I can handle holding all the things 🤣 My backpack for races will become multipurpose now - instead of dirtbike parts/tools it will be show tools!

She reported today while working on bracing this morning, "Bam acted like he was alseep! As long as I feed him first he will do WHATEVER I want." The kid is determined, but as my cousin informed me, 2nd borns have a drive the 1st dont because there is an innate fear of being "kicked out of the nest". 🤣🤣🤣

@Ridgetop any suggestions on a wormer? We have *thankfully - knocking on the wood buffet next to me* not had a need to obtain a wormer, yet. But I want to get er done.
I use valbazen and quest plus

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
When showing, the animals are exposed to more things that may not be at home. When showing horses, before being put into a stall, we sprayed with disinfectant, let dry, add fresh bedding.

Always bring own buckets, etc. and the animals were vaccinated more often, plus quarantined when brought home. Just extra precautions for off site exposures😊. Consider those things. People touch animal after animal....transfers bugs, unintentionally.

LearningSheep

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When showing, the animals are exposed to more things that may not be at home. When showing horses, before being put into a stall, we sprayed with disinfectant, let dry, add fresh bedding.

Always bring own buckets, etc. and the animals were vaccinated more often, plus quarantined when brought home. Just extra precautions for off site exposures😊. Consider those things. People touch animal after animal....transfers bugs, unintentionally.
Thanks @Mini Horses for the information :) I am definitely taking it all in.

LearningSheep

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was told to give sheep a wash with medicated shampoo after bringing home from a show to prevent ringworm. Especially important if sharing stall with other people's animals.
I believe she's decided to only show the market lamb so, in theory he won't be coming home 😜

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@LearningSheep There are many shows called Jackpots during the summer and shows during the year for market lambs. So plenty of opportunities to learn and win before the end. The terminal / final show in normally early April or May at end of school year.

I would get on Facebook and find the "California lamb show" group to get info about upcoming shows. For reference, in Texas there are 4 shows this weekend that all have divisions with cash or buckle prizes for market lambs. Your daughter could go to all these and compete. My Cassandra has slightly more limited scope since she is doing breeding ewe but will be going for showmanship portion.
2024-07-10_Kaufman_1hr.jpg

LearningSheep

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@LearningSheep There are many shows called Jackpots during the summer and shows during the year for market lambs. So plenty of opportunities to learn and win before the end. The terminal / final show in normally early April or May at end of school year.

I would get on Facebook and find the "California lamb show" group to get info about upcoming shows. For reference, in Texas there are 4 shows this weekend that all have divisions with cash or buckle prizes for market lambs. Your daughter could go to all these and compete. My Cassandra has slightly more limited scope since she is doing breeding ewe but will be going for showmanship portion.
View attachment 109802
@Margali Will do, thanks!