Need advice on growth- UPDATE- animals were extremely ill

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I would talk to your vet about it as a concern to see if he/she has seen any issues with white muscle disease in goats in your area. I would also ask if they would be willing to either a) come out in the event that a kid is born with symptoms or b) give you some BoSe to have on hand to administer yourself. I know that other people on here (Roll Farm I think is one) have developed a good enough relationship with their vet that they can just call and ask for a prescription.

In the meantime, make sure to provide minerals and I do have selenium gel for in a pinch. My area is on the other end of that though and we do not have it as an issue.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
I would talk to your vet about it as a concern to see if he/she has seen any issues with white muscle disease in goats in your area. I would also ask if they would be willing to either a) come out in the event that a kid is born with symptoms or b) give you some BoSe to have on hand to administer yourself. I know that other people on here (Roll Farm I think is one) have developed a good enough relationship with their vet that they can just call and ask for a prescription.

In the meantime, make sure to provide minerals and I do have selenium gel for in a pinch. My area is on the other end of that though and we do not have it as an issue.
x2
It is never a bad idea to ask your vet
I'm assuming the BoSe you reference is a selenium injection?
I believe our vet gives ours some type of selenium injection when we do our health check and rabies vaccinations.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Yes it is a selenium injection.
Do you give selenium injections? I believe Dr. Cannady said this area was deficient.
I do not. I have several vets that I use and so far it has not been determined that we need to be giving BoSe shots. I am not a fan of really and vaccine (other than CDT and even then...) and I do NOT run out and give my goats all these shots and injections over everything. I see so much BoSe use, so much Copper Bolusing, Pen G injections, etc etc. So many people seem to pump goats full of everything. imo a goat must survive. Of course you need to do things to help them in some cases but for the most part a goat need to survive or I'm not keeping it. I don't want to keep my goats alive artificially.

For some people that's fine and that's what they do. Good for them and I don't have a beef with them but it's not for me.

I do provide good mineral and their selenium levels seem to be fine. So far things have worked good for us.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this person's thread, I think I'll start another. But I don't believe I have heard anyone else on here reference giving Rabies vaccinations.

I seem to have heard something in the last couple of days about a goat with Rabies.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Don't mean to hijack this person's thread, I think I'll start another. But I don't believe I have heard anyone else on here reference giving Rabies vaccinations.

I seem to have heard something in the last couple of days about a goat with Rabies.
I'll wait for you to start the thread. Glad you are about to start it actually. Have something to say.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
OneFineAcre said:

I'll wait for you to start the thread. Glad you are about to start it actually. Have something to say.
I figured you would ;)

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I returned the bucklings. I was told my some fellow Nigerian owners locally that this persons herd was extremely sick, and they were suspecting Johne's infection. YIKES!!!! goos thing they were in quarantine :(