Need help

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok well my new zealand meat rabbit gave birth yesterday and I went to check on her a couple minutes ago and there is ants in the box and some of the babies have some ant bites on them. Can this kill them or will it not affect them that much. I put in ant trapps yesterday and there are still some in there. Also one of the babies got out of the nest and is rolling around in the cage what do I do? If I touch the baby with the mom not care for it any more..

Any info will help first timer here...
Thanks,
RIRsss

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Put it back, she will still care for it. She will not move it or put it back. Ants can and will kill babies. You can use diatomaceous earth to control them without harming the rabbits.

Make sure you get the kind that doesn't have poisons mixed with it. They best place to get it is at gardening stores.

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okk thank you so much..I put some regular old and traps in there with them and have seen lots of ants going in so hopefully they stop. How many ant bites will kill them?

chicksandrabbitsohmy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have handled babies within a day, taken the box out to count, and she still does a great job with the babies...Dont worry..Just keep them safe from those mean ole ants!

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a question here I have noticed that in the 2nd day of the babies being born she has put lots of fur on them, what does this mean? They are in a 2x2 area which is covered on all 4 sides and has a small opening for her to get in and out. She made a nest with wood chips and hay and grass I put in there is this enough or should I do anything....

Thanks for the help

Weedchick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How are the ants getting in the cage? If it has legs you can put the legs in tuna cans (or similar ) with water, ants wont swim. If you have hanging cages you can smear vaseline in their trail (make it thick ) and that provides a barrier they wont cross.

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah the cage is on 4 legs and I got ride of the ants already so that done. But I will try the can thing like you said very smart. I was wondering when I can take the babies from the mom so they can start eating and get fat?

Thanks,
RIRss

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If it's on legs you can use a band of Tanglefoot on each leg. If the ants try to cross it they get stuck like flypaper. It's available at most nurseries. Gardeners band tree trunks with it to keep ants out of trees.

chicksandrabbitsohmy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
RIRss said:
Yeah the cage is on 4 legs and I got ride of the ants already so that done. But I will try the can thing like you said very smart. I was wondering when I can take the babies from the mom so they can start eating and get fat?

Thanks,
RIRss
They will come out on their own when they are about 2-3 weeks old, and start eating..Ours, it's so cute/funny, sit at the water thing licking away, then eat food, then try to nurse, then just snuggle..They are so funny!