bethinoklahoma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:D
Hello all....
Im from the fellow forum site backyardchicken.com
My husband and I are looking into buying a couple of
calfs for the farm. We are hoping to raise them for the
meat. My children 3 girls are all on board.
I have been reading all the past post with the hopes to
getting up to speed with out asking the same questions.
That all said should I take alot of time in learing the different
types of cattle to buy?
Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd!

I would assume that you will be buying your calf/calves locally so, I would only study on the ones that you would be able to find locally. Where your going to raise them for meat don't over look cross bred calves. Sometimes, they are cheaper but, can be a real good meat animal.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we will be glad to answer them and there is no such thing as a dumb question either. So, don't worry. :)

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
bethinoklahoma said:
:D
Hello all....
Im from the fellow forum site backyardchicken.com
My husband and I are looking into buying a couple of
calfs for the farm. We are hoping to raise them for the
meat. My children 3 girls are all on board.
I have been reading all the past post with the hopes to
getting up to speed with out asking the same questions.
That all said should I take alot of time in learing the different
types of cattle to buy?
Looking forward to getting to know you all.
:welcome

One thing is you have to make sure you got your fences and water/feed facilities in order before you buy any calves. Getting your animals before you have your fences done is one mistake that should not be made, and if made can be costly in the slim chances of keeping them there once you get them back on their little excursion across the countryside. Calves are the most difficult to herd, especially if they are young enough to not have learned about herding from their mothers. When they've been weaned they're a bit better to handle, but from my experience they still can prove to have outlived their cuteness pretty darn quick if they decide to do what you don't want them to.

I think you should take some time in that. There's differences in beef and dairy cattle that differ them (somewhat) in using them for beef or milk production. Dairy cattle can be used for beef, but you won't get the "quality" that is bred into beef cattle from dairy cattle. Dairy cattle are primarily bred for milk production, and only that. But, I should mention that there is nothing wrong with getting a cheap dairy steer to raise for beef if you don't consume much meat. But the best beef steers that I would recommend you getting are anywhere from Angus to Simmental calves (weaned calves, mind), including all those in between.

Good luck!

bethinoklahoma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks.....
I have some pasture space set up for the horse and some round pens and such already. I thought I would just run some hot wire on top of what we have for now. As far as feeders and such that is still on the list but we are in no rush. Doing my homework first.
We are going to the local auctions to get an idea of a low for the area and to meet some local farmers. Just do not want to come off as to "new" to them.... ;o)
Thanks for the advice it was helpful.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only a "low" but also to see what animals are going best. Be it black-hided ones, red ones, RWF, BWF, or yellow baldies. I wouldn't be surprised if the black and BWF calves are still going strong...