New Goats - Is this normal????

rmbouillon

Just born
Reaction score
Not to discourage you, but I have two bucklings (who are going to the freezer soon if it doesn't stop) that after over a month in the new pasture are still yelling at times. It may have something to do with being force weaned from their moms as they are over 3 months old and the moms were getting very skinny. All the rest yelled for 2-3 days and then calmed down.

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Both of the girls did much better today. There was lots of muaaaaing
but not the yelling that went on yesterday. They also quieted down MUCH quicker when we walked away each time and didn't carry on hardly at all. So, hopefully they will continue to adjust and feel more and more comfortable each day.

Thanks all!!!

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lol I like the yodeling goat.

I have one that sings. A lot of muahhing goes on to touch base if any of my herd get separated or wander too far from the others. I have a bottle baby who calls out if she hears her name then confines to talk quietly as she walks to wherever we are. And anyone who thinks we are late doing something (usually milking orbeing put in the barn or let out) will SCREAM constantly. And my little wether cries piteously when I try to separate him from his mom for a few hours.

Yup, they make all kinds of noises. Most of them not too loud. Can't wait for breeding season ... Not!

Earplugs, anyone? At least my neighbors think it's cool to see animals around lol.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My nubian is pretty loud. My nigerian buck is louder. He has the most incredible falsetto when he's being ignored!

Hamish

Just born
Reaction score
I have Nubians and Saanens. Bit of a mixed herd. None of my goats make any noise at all. They are all calm and quiet.

They did make a hell of a fuss when I first got them home and had to basically drag them into their pen - they really didnt want to leave the trailer. I even considered picking them up and carrying them they were digging their heels in so much!

Your goats will calm down if you feed them well and spend some time with them. Take a chair out there and sit. Perhaps read a book. They will get to know you in a calm relaxed state and you will bond.

Hamish
(Australia)

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hamish said:
I have Nubians and Saanens. Bit of a mixed herd. None of my goats make any noise at all. They are all calm and quiet.

They did make a hell of a fuss when I first got them home and had to basically drag them into their pen - they really didnt want to leave the trailer. I even considered picking them up and carrying them they were digging their heels in so much!

Your goats will calm down if you feed them well and spend some time with them. Take a chair out there and sit. Perhaps read a book. They will get to know you in a calm relaxed state and you will bond.

Hamish
(Australia)
:welcome

Guess goats "world - wide " do Not like being moved !!! or anything else that upsets their routines ...:lol:

The Egg Bandit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My gals also do NOT like their routine being changed. For the past week we have been experiencing severe thunderstorms during our usual milking time. Since we haven't yet set up an inside milking station, we are controlled by the weather. I hate it, but the girls hate it more! Fortunately, being in Florida, the downpours are usually over quickly. But the girls are ABSOLUTELY sure that we have forgotten them, and helpfully try to remind us quite loudly.

One sweet little Kinder who used to mew like a kitten at her loudest, now bawls like she's being skinned alive ever since she kidded for the first time. And when she wants to be milked, dear heavens! I am afraid a neighbor will call animal services on us one day. And then the big Saanen gets going, with her loud mouth demanding service promptly. I'm pretty sure she breaks most local sound ordinances as far as decibels go.

And don't even get me started on the bucks! One Nigerian Dwarf whinnies like a horse, the other sounds like he's smoked for 30 years.
But if the schedule is strictly adhered to by us mere humble human servants, there is silence on the farm.:idunno

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine aren't even Nubians and they muahhhh pretty much all day long LOL. They talk to me. Sometimes I swear Cissy is yelling at me like "COME FEED ME NOW OR ELSE"

apdan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH.. I thought I was alone :) I weaned my bottle baby off a while ago and so he's a big boy now out in the pen with the other goats. We actually kinda tease them on weekend mornings :) It's quite funny, we even told grandma when she was babysitting to do this (she didn't beleive it actually happens)! We open the door to the house and look straight down the yard and we have one of our pens and so our baby would stand there and wait........ as soon as he seen/heard the door open he would start screaming and run to the corner of the pen, where my horse would be standing and she would whinny to the rest of the goats who wait on the other side of the pen where we normally feed grain to everyone and then they would all start screaming..... when we close the door he quits screaming and everyone goes quiet and you wait a few seconds and open the door again, he starts screaming and running, my horse whinny's and then the rest start screaming! It's hilarious!!!!! Then when you "sneak" out the other door in the house and walk out into the other side of the yard the other goats start screaming and my horse and the bottle baby come running!!! Yea.... grandma didn't believe us until she actually did it when she was babysitting one weekend! :lol:

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nubians are one of the loudest, vocal breeds of goats. :D;)