New Here in Michigan

fluttervale

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello!

I go by Fluttervale almost everywhere. I don't currently own a farm, but my boyfriend & I plan on having a small family farm in the future. Actually, I plan it, he prefers to live in the moment. I'm working on a 5 year plan that includes a small farm that we can raise our own beef, poultry, and pork, as well as garden extensively. I would love to do a lot of living off the land. He is on board mostly because he does like steak and I may have indicated that we would have more steak than he can reasonably eat.

I currently rent and am finishing a business degree. (I'm 32, he's 35.) I was raised in 4-H country so am relatively familiar with the basics of raising livestock, and I've been involved in conformation dogs for about 10 years. However, boyfriend is allergic to house pets so that plan sort of went out the window. I improvised ;) He can't complain about animals that don't come in the house anyways. I do currently have one cat who is purely ornamental (she's useless I tell you...), a Labrador, and three guinea pigs.

We will be looking for breeds that can be raised primarily on pasture. I like the thought of having as much as I can coming straight from the land. I don't intend on showing anything except I do really adore guinea pigs so might consider staying with them.

Anyways, that's me...I've learned so much in the 2 weeks I've been lurking here!

Upper Penn Love

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Michigan too. Pretty much in the same boat. We are in a rent until we can buy deal on an acre. Hope to have chickens, rabbits, and geese by next year and have a few acres on each side that both neighbors may be willing to part with. I'm in school for natural resources and have a background with dogs, I'm a little jealous of your 4H background though lol we currently have a golden although neighbors cat is pregnant and we've decided to take 2 kittens. 1 spoiled pet for me and 1 primarily outside mouser for him. This forum is very helpful :)

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome

Fellow Michiganiac

We've been at ours for about 5 years now. Started with 4 chickens. Now up to 20+ chickens, 15 goats, 1 sheep, 2 dogs, 2 horses but I think that's as diverse as we're going to get.

How much land do you have? How much of it is pasture?