New here

sandog001

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:lol: I guess I should of worded that differently...

I am still in the planning stages for my rabbitry and questions just sprout up and I should really think about them before I start moving my lips....lol
but what I was curious about was ...... with the average fryer, how many people will that one rabbit feed.......
I also like your set up...

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sandog001 said:
:lol: I guess I should of worded that differently...

I am still in the planning stages for my rabbitry and questions just sprout up and I should really think about them before I start moving my lips....lol
but what I was curious about was ...... with the average fryer, how many people will that one rabbit feed.......
I also like your set up...
I have Florida Whites and one rabbit will feed four people. So, I figure you need to have 52 butcher rabbits to have one meal a week for a year.
I am glad you like my set-up. I have to admit I am very happy with it and proud of it. Its a very clean set-up.
Good luck to you and stick around on here. There is always lots of good info.

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i am also going to start raising meat rabbits this coming spring only it was my kids ideas

Julienkc

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
nstilwater said:
i am also going to start raising meat rabbits this coming spring only it was my kids ideas
How old are your kids? My oldest is 6. She doesn't like any of our animals being processed, but she has no problems eating them. At least she knows where food comes from. When I did the chickens, she didn't come out until they had all been dispatched, but then hung around asking all sorts of questions.

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Julienkc said:
nstilwater said:
How old are your kids? My oldest is 6. She doesn't like any of our animals being processed, but she has no problems eating them. At least she knows where food comes from. When I did the chickens, she didn't come out until they had all been dispatched, but then hung around asking all sorts of questions.
i have three boys two years, five years, and seven years,my five year old was slightly put off at first but then i showed them a video of how factory chickens are raised, not butchered but raised, and they felt so bad for them that they would prefer homegrown food and now ask me i what we are eating is store bought or one of ours, they dont eat it if i say store bought! we have always hunted and processed our own so the kids have been seeing it since they were real little. chances are that shell get used to it and it wont be a problem for long. especially if she doesnt have a problem eating them. my five year old went vegetarian for a few months after the first chicken was processed! he got over it

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
To counter the animal rights activist film/ print/ voice propagandas... I see that most vegetables and fruit are grown in overcrowded rows, force fed with commercial or even organic fertilizers. Eaten alive by all manners of insect or fungal pests or suffer from invading weeds stealing nutrients . Then when some human masters feel loss of money due to pest damage, spray or dust with all manner of commercial or organic pesticides, and see their soil mates ( weeds) eather killed by comercial or organic herbicides, fire, or chopped to death by humans weilding hoes or huge machine with no regard to the plants feelings. Too, the poor plants suffer long periods of time without water to drink untill their masters finally arrive to give them some water at their own conveniance. Then when they approach maturity, chopped off their roots, pulled out of the ground or uncerimoniously pulled off their parent branches and then packed into crowded containers and then ( gasp) eaten while still alive. How gross is that ? My formerly strictly vegetarian daughter in law finally recognized the realities of life, in now hapily consuming animal and vegetable products. Now back to our regularly scheduled program !

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
To counter the animal rights activist film/ print/ voice propagandas... I see that most vegetables and fruit are grown in overcrowded rows, force fed with commercial or even organic fertilizers. Eaten alive by all manners of insect or fungal pests or suffer from invading weeds stealing nutrients . Then when some human masters feel loss of money due to pest damage, spray or dust with all manner of commercial or organic pesticides, and see their soil mates ( weeds) eather killed by comercial or organic herbicides, fire, or chopped to death by humans weilding hoes or huge machine with no regard to the plants feelings. Too, the poor plants suffer long periods of time without water to drink untill their masters finally arrive to give them some water at their own conveniance. Then when they approach maturity, chopped off their roots, pulled out of the ground or uncerimoniously pulled off their parent branches and then packed into crowded containers and then ( gasp) eaten while still alive. How gross is that ? My formerly strictly vegetarian daughter in law finally recognized the realities of life, in now hapily consuming animal and vegetable products. Now back to our regularly scheduled program !
Alrighty then.....

Julie....... do your research and as told on here look through the forum you will learn a lot! There is a ton of information on here.
And it will be well worth your while to have your set-up done before you get your rabbits. If your wanting to produce well through the winter you may want to have them in some kind of shed with electric so you can have extra light on them to trick them into breeding. It also alows you to add a small a/c unit to help them get through the 105 we have had here the last few summers. I wish I had mine in some kind of shed where I could do that. It would be easier. But, I also recommend not getting to crazy as you dont know how much you will like raising them. You will figure it out. 1st you need a rabbit to eat. :)

Julienkc

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Citylife said:
Bossroo said:
Alrighty then.....

Julie....... do your research and as told on here look through the forum you will learn a lot! There is a ton of information on here.
And it will be well worth your while to have your set-up done before you get your rabbits. If your wanting to produce well through the winter you may want to have them in some kind of shed with electric so you can have extra light on them to trick them into breeding. It also alows you to add a small a/c unit to help them get through the 105 we have had here the last few summers. I wish I had mine in some kind of shed where I could do that. It would be easier. But, I also recommend not getting to crazy as you dont know how much you will like raising them. You will figure it out. 1st you need a rabbit to eat. :)
Well, I haven't ate a rabbit yet but I watched one being processed today. We butchered our extra roo and a few culls out of the layers (one with bumblefoot I couldn't get better, a featherpicker, etc). I process my own meaties and roos, but couldn't do my layers so we had a friend come over to do them and share the meat. The friend that we got our rabbits from had one rabbit left he was going to give away or to his dad to butcher, so hubby went and got it. It wasn't as bad as I thought, so guess I'll be ready when I get to that point.
I'm hanging the rabbits in the chickens covered run. There's plenty of shade and if it gets really hot I run fan/take blocks of ice in there for the chickens anyway. I have solar lights hung in there for the chickens, but I don't mind if they slack a bit for the winter. I plan on adding a little bit more light next fall anyway though. Thanks, you've been really helpful!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I get what you're saying bossroo. I've often thought it would be funny to have a bumper sticker that said, "Vegetables Have Feelings, Too!"

Julienkc

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
:gig Don't know how I missed this post. Hubby was pouting about killing "our" (my) chickens. He said if he wanted to eat chicken he'd eat store chicken. I told him those were someone's chickens and ours at least had a better life. He said he wouldn't eat meat anymore. :smackAfter I stopped laughing :lol:, I told him trees had feelings too, and hasn't he ever seen wizard of oz? they don't like having their apples picked. :lol: