new sheep - breed? and other questions

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They look very similar to my katahdin lambs... If so, they are hair sheep and do not need to be sheared...

1598_lambs.jpg

1598_lambs_running.jpg

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cute babies.

these are definetly wool sheep i do know that. my uncle has had these for a while and he doesnt know the breed. but every year they do get sheered, they do not shed.

how old will they be before i have to worry about the female getting pregnant? i sure dont want that since they are related.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
maybe tunis for the red-ish colored one. The white one is possibly a ramboulliet, they have great quality wool.

The horse clippers should work. You may want to buy different blades though.

Males can breed as young as four months. Ewes will breed when they are around 5 to 6 months. Although it can depend on their breed. Some sheep only breed in the fall.

I wouldn't breed siblings. Although father back to daughter is considered ok. You don't want any more in-breeding though.

You might still be able to band the. Because you are unfamiliar to it you might want to get a vet or a local producer to come out and do it.

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Those tails are about the same length as my shetland tails. That would explain the reason for not docking the tails. They just don't seem long enough for a long tailed breed. If you do choose to dock the tails cutting them may be best, but my my 8 month old ewe lambs came with castrating bands on their tails. Docking a short tailed breed isn't really necessary since the tails cause no problems.

As for castrating them you can castrate with a band at an older age without many problems. I have done it before with my lambs.

pairadice

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They look like hair sheep to me. If they are woolies, they wouldn't be fine wool lambs as they would have tight tiny curls.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry but they DO look like Katahdin lambs, wool and all. Maybe just wait and see how their wool progresses and you should be able to see if they are true wool breeds or have lots of hair fibers mixed in the wool on their underbellies, under their necks and on their legs.

Hair breeds have wool and it can be sheared but if you wait long enough in the summer it will start to shed....maybe your uncle just never waited to see? I can't imagine a true sheep man not knowing what breed he's growing, so it could be he's mistaken?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I've never seen katahdins with closed faces like that, and they don't have that wavy hair look like most do. Plus they don't have that hair sheep build. I'd be pretty surprised if they were katahdins.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i've never seen his sheep shed, or mine back when i had them. but as you say, i never probably waited long enough to see if they would. im really thinking they wont tho, but who am i to say! im clueless other than this is definetly wool.
i lost my female a few weeks ago :( so now i have my two males. i love them both they are so friendly. i do have some more questions tho if you could all bare with me!

-i'd like to get a couple females for them, and i'd like to keep them both intact to breed. being syblings and growing up together, will they get along? i had two intact sybling rams before that got along but i had no females on the property.

-both are very friendly and follow me around, but one will continue to walk into my legs with his head down, not hard at all but basically like the beginning of what could be a bad behavior. how do i correct him, flick on the nose? not sure how to disipline sheep.

-this is thier first summer, im in NC so its been hot. do they need to be sheered this year? they seem to be hot in the middle of the day and stay laying in the shade breathing kind of heavy (as all the animals are)

im sure ill think of other questions! :) thanks

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
do NOT make friends with ram sheep. Never ever ever. When they are grown and the hormones kick in, they will not be your friend anymore. They also won't be friends with each other anymore, no matter if they were raised together. What if you wether one of them and leave the other intact? The wether can be the companion of the intact one. Do not let them become pets to you. You want them to have a healthy respect for you. If they lose all fear of humans, they can be dangerous. Never flick or hit them anywhere on the face or head as that encourages butting. A squirt in the face with a water bottle is much safer. That one that is already butting into your legs.....that's bad news. Carry a water bottle to squirt him with whenever you are with them and do not let him push your legs.