New to Bottle Calves

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My DH and I purchased two Jersey X bull calves to raise. They are 12 days old. We've been bottle feeding twice a day, morning and night. I have a few question I'm hoping you experts can help me with. We got them 2 days ago.

1. Can bottle calves also have water in between their bottle during the day? I get conflicting info and am just looking for confirmation.
2. One calf looks like his poo is starting to get runny. It's looked like yellow colostrum until today. Should I stop the milk supplement and start scour ease?
3. Should I get them banded? We just want to raise them to butcher.
4. Should they be on pellet calf starter feed? If not when?
5. Runny eyes? Is this normal? Do calves have allergies? No pink, no smell, doesn't look bad just like tears.

I think that's it for now. I'm such a worrier and I don't want to do anything wrong. I've read everything and done tons of research but still.......

Thank you to anyone who replies in advance :)

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm no real expert on raising bottle calves, but I'll try anyway:

1. Yes it doesn't hurt to have the calves have access to water even when they're on milk....they have access to water all the time when calves are on their dams.

2. Sounds like milk scours. I hope this is correct, but don't stop with the milk replacer, I'm sure feeding him Scour Ease along with his milk won't hurt...

3. YES!! It's never too late to do it. Earlier the better, IMO. Once they start realizing their bulls when they're older you might run into a few problems, unfortunately if you don't castrate them until they're weaning age.

4. :idunno

5. :idunno

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help...

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
JerseyXGirl said:
My DH and I purchased two Jersey X bull calves to raise. They are 12 days old. We've been bottle feeding twice a day, morning and night. I have a few question I'm hoping you experts can help me with. We got them 2 days ago.

1. Can bottle calves also have water in between their bottle during the day? I get conflicting info and am just looking for confirmation.Yes.
2. One calf looks like his poo is starting to get runny. It's looked like yellow colostrum until today. Should I stop the milk supplement and start scour ease?Keep on milk replacer but, treat for scours. See my misc page-in "Index of usefull info" in my sig.
3. Should I get them banded? We just want to raise them to butcher.Yes, steers are less dangerous than bulls.
4. Should they be on pellet calf starter feed? If not when?Yes, put some in front of them, they may not take to it right away but, have it there for them.
5. Runny eyes? Is this normal? Do calves have allergies? No pink, no smell, doesn't look bad just like tears. Keep on eye on this, if you can get a pic and post it.

I think that's it for now. I'm such a worrier and I don't want to do anything wrong. I've read everything and done tons of research but still.......

Thank you to anyone who replies in advance :)
I'm on the run so I hope this has answered your questions

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't be of any help. I'm just posting you to say :welcome, good luck raising your calves, and POST PICTURES of them! :drool

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's the link to my misc. page It has quite a bit of info on calf scours. Also, if he is a smaller sized calf use the directions for smaller breed calves. Jerseys can be a bit touchier about their feedings and if he is taking after that side then you need to treat him as a jersey. It could also be due to the move.

Once they have settled in and you've cleared the scours they are both old enough to go on pails, if you want. Much easier then the bottle.

The one with the watery eyes, are the eyes clear or do they have a bluish or whitish tint? Pink eye in cattle isn't necessarily pink. More often than not is a bluish or whitish spot in the eye.

Where are you located (state)? It does help us to answer your questions if we know what kind of weather conditions you have.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
:welcome you need to give the calf meds for the scours.yes offer the calves water.

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's been warm, almost 80 yesterday, windy and 65 today. Located in MO, south of KC. No bluish coloration that would tell me pinkeye just clear drainage. I will keep an eye on it and call the vet if it changes for sure. They were kept on pine shavings where they came from in southern MO to hay in our barn, which might have something to do with it. I did give scour ease this evening. They are acting and doing fine, no loss of appetite or listfulness and actually look like they've gained weight in the two days they've been here, lol.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sure I'll have many question in the coming months as we get into everything.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The hay dust could be causing an eye irritation. Just watch closely to make sure.

We'll do our best to answer any questions you may have along the way.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Jerseys sometimes get watery eyes and it's more noticable in them than Holsteins.
I'd worry and watch more for snotty noses -anything not clear - /sneezing/any cough or wheezing. If that's the case, you are looking at a cold at best and pneumonia at worst. I'd medicate at the first snotty nose if they weren't born with you. ( I'd probably medicate even if they WERE born with you. Young Jerseys can be delicate.)
At 2 weeks of age, feistiness is a good indication of health. If they are up and raring to go, it's good; if they are listless at all, watch VERy closely.