New to Bottle Calves

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's called: Revitilyte-Gelling
Oral Electrolyte Supplement w/Thickening Agent

Put out by: Bomac Vets Plus, Inc.

Should I keep them on this as long as it takes for me to see solid? Would it hurt them or make them constipated?

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Another thing....Should I replace milk replacer w/Scour Ease put out by Manna Pro? It is milk replacer w/added antibiotics?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
JerseyXGirl said:
It's called: Revitilyte-Gelling
Oral Electrolyte Supplement w/Thickening Agent

Put out by: Bomac Vets Plus, Inc.

Should I keep them on this as long as it takes for me to see solid? Would it hurt them or make them constipated?
This has an electrolyte in it so, you don't need to add any.

It won't make them consitipated so, you can keep them on it until there is solid stuff. If you start seeing where the majority of it is solid you can stop.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
JerseyXGirl said:
Another thing....Should I replace milk replacer w/Scour Ease put out by Manna Pro? It is milk replacer w/added antibiotics?
I have never used this product so I can not attest to it's use but, Manna Pro is good so, I'm sure it's safe to try. But, you can also just use an antibiotic with what you have. Switching brands of milk replacer at this point may not be what you want to do either. I would try adding an antibiotic to what you have first unless Manna Pro is what you are using for milk replacer.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I am trying to recall the recipe for Scours that I used in the '60s when research was just beginning on this subject. Maybe I can jog someone else's memory. It was published in Hoard's Dairymen.
I was about 14 at the time-- wish I could remember quantities.

Baking Soda
Potassium salt ( That is the salt substitute you can get in the grocery store)
Knox Gelatin- unflavored

I recall mixing these and keeping a pint jar of it in my barn medicine cabinet.
When you mixed a portion with water, you added karo syrup and Certo pectin.

At that time we NEVER bottle fed, only used the bucket, and no matter how sick the calves were, they GULPED this down. It saved many a calf on our farm. The most expensive ingredients were the pectin and gelatin, but they wree readily available in the grocery store.

farmgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello::ya
I just got 2 Jersey's on Saturday, I put them on the same stuff that the previous owner had them on, I was also told because March can be such a on and off month with the weather to give them BRP Vaccine (Nasalgen-P) really inexpensive and you just squirt it up their nostrils. They have a bucket of water their at all times and calf starter feed that I also put in my hand when they are done with their bottles so they leave the other one alone, and they nibble on it. I also keep them as draft free as possible and I go in the pen and fork the "poop" out daily. That is all that I can offer you, except after the ride home in the straw, one of the calves had a watery eye, it was dry by evening feed, and no problems since, I think that some straw got in his eye.

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update...both are doing ok :) Everyday alittle more active, one is alittle ahead of the other but I think I'm doing something right. They are nibbling grain on their own and drinking from their water pail. Poo is brown today, which I take as a good sign. Should they have free choose calf Nutrena? I promise to get pics tonight and post them. Been very busy here...bottle feeding two nigerian goats, chicks hatching in the bator and I had baby rabbits born this morning :woot

Thank you everyone for your replies and helping this newb out with my first ever experience into calves. It has been trying at times but so far rewarding when they stretch their necks out for me to scratch their necks. :ya

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes you can give them free access to feed.just keep watching them for the scours.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like they are getting better! :ya Yes, they can have grain in front of them all the time.

Congratulations on all the new babies at your place!

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's the pic :)

100_2777.jpg