New to dairy farming. Question(s)

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hee hee hee goats DONT cut the muster.. but until then...sigh... its dairy goats for all my friends.... or me.

:)

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Where is the love? That is an easy one to answer. You have to love doing it!

We dairy cows and goats here. It is a harsh lifestyle and you give up a lot of things to do it because YOU LOVE IT!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well i still love the dairy.an yes i retired from milking cows.talked to a young kid the other day.that i know his parents.an he said that they are milking 4000hd out in west texas.so by my figures they have over 5000hd on the dairy.an i told him id love to run a dairy triple that size.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
well i still love the dairy.an yes i retired from milking cows.talked to a young kid the other day.that i know his parents.an he said that they are milking 4000hd out in west texas.so by my figures they have over 5000hd on the dairy.an i told him id love to run a dairy triple that size.
Oh bless your heart wynedot, your a brave one! lol, I like keeping milkings under or around 3 hours..Anymore then that and it might just feel like work haha..I managed a herd of 200 milkers, that was enough to keep you busy and yet have some kind of relationship with each of the cows. Where I'm at now has 100 milkers, its the perfect size for me to deal with right now, I'm still learning all the cows' names but when they are all jerseys you can't go by a glimpse of a spot like holsteins and know exactly who they are. Sometimes I have to look twice! Wouldn't change it for the world though. :weee

yanks26

Just born
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey yanks 26!

since there's nothing but everyone's 'reality check' .... golly folks where is the love!?!?... what about goats?? i know i know.. i'm the last person to say that as i'm the resident goat "liker "and not the goat lover... but its a thought. they are cheaper, more efficient with their feed, take less room...

if you are new to farming it may be a good intermediate step to test the water. i got both my dairy goat for about $200 each and they have totally paid for themselves - and made us aware of the work involved. the other benefit is that if one of these silly goats kicks me i'll a bruise (most likely) but if a cow took a swing at me i'd be in trouble.

are you used to big animals? what peaked your cow interest?? i'd love to hear how you got to/are getting to your decision as i have some of the same inklings (i think??)

that being said - i'm a repressed cow person and i cant wait to get cows! so i'm supporting you. and if it doesnt work out let me know and i'll make you a deal on the cows!

OhioFarmGirl
"goats only, no cows, i dream of cows......"
How do you make money with your goats?

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
right now i dont!

we've 'made' money by saving what we WOULD have spent on feed and groceries. we've saved at least $50 a month for groceries and our feed costs went down for poulty and hogs by about 30%.. but as far as actual profits - nada. but thats not what we started out to do.

next year tho, we'll be able to sell some babies.