New to Meat rabbits

hcammack

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just got into breeding meat rabbits have 1 buck and 3 does. My buck is a young Cali cross, one Palomino doe, one Cal doe, and one Flemish x Palomino doe. I am feeding pellets, going to attempt adding some sprouted wheat, and unlimited grass hay. My rabbits are outside in Vermont. But in the next month or two I would like to breed a couple does. Would they be warm enough to kindle in March or April. May also bring one doe inside. My cal doe has had a litter before. The others are all first time breeders. Any suggestions/ information for a newbie starting out with rabbits? Here is my Palominox Flemish doe a month or so ago. She has developed a dewlap and grown quiet a bit and may be ready to breed soon
2985_palamino_doe_.jpg

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Kindling in March or April shouldn't be a problem if the does are good mothers. Lots of folks (including me) have had litters born in temps down to mid-20s farenheit. If the doe builds a good fur-lined nest and kindles more than just 1-2 kits odds are good. The kits stay warm from the hair and from snuggling with each other.

I don't know about Palominos, but for Cali doe she could be ready to breed at around six months' age and 7-8 lbs weight. The Flemish cross may take longer since the giant breeds mature more slowly.

hcammack

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to breed the Cali now as she is at least a year and has had previous litters. The palomino and palominox flemish are going to wait for at least another month or two before getting bred. I feel that they are still doing some growing now. I am feeding everyone about 1 cup of pellets a day and unlimited hay. What do you recommend for winter feeding? They always have access to fresh water. I am feeding the Cali adult doe less as she is older and already a bit heavy.

Thanks for the great advice!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
They shouldn't need any special food in winter unless you are seeing weight loss. Just make sure there are no drafts and the harsh wind doesn't blow directly in.

hcammack

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will keep feeding them as I have been. They seem to be doing well although probably are a bit cold in this storm.

Brunner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't feel as you will have to many problems with kindling in march and april. I have a litter that was just born on the sixth and it has been in the single digits every night since. All are still doing well.

sagewoman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, One of my NZs kindled six days ago with 8 kits. The other kindled in six weeks ago. Good luck.

Latest posts