new zealand / dutch what do you think?

justin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
justin said:
Well I got my does bred I also just purchased a purebred californian that's already bred and 3 young california/silver fox mixes.
Hopefully I will get a couple nice bucks from the California/ new zealand doe that I bred to the dutch and I can breed them to the young californian/silver fox does I just bought. I will have a while to wait but they would make a nice match I think.

justin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Or maybe just breed my new californian / silver foxes to the dutch. I'm not sure.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If it is just for meat, I don't think it matters. If you want to get technical about it, then start a spreadsheet or notebook and systematically breed each buck to each doe and keep accurate records of size of litter, weight of litters at birth, # weaned and weight at weaning, weight at butcher. Then you can see which crosses result in the most meat for your table.

Oneacrefarm

mooregenetics

Just born
Reaction score
How did your dutch / new zealand crosses turn out? I am about to wean my first two litters out of Californian does and a Dutch buck and have been really impressed so far. I have one runt but the rest are big and thick. One bunch has a lot of white(Dutch pattern) whereas the other is mainly solid black with a white nose or paw here and there. I will be keeping some of the does for breeders. One has gray tipped hair. Too bad it is a buck because we really wanted to keep it.

Rabbit-boy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Breed you dutch......

ARBA Judge 2yrs....
Raiser of 80rabbits,10goats,10 ducks and 25chickens ......

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oneacrefarm said:
If it is just for meat, I don't think it matters. If you want to get technical about it, then start a spreadsheet or notebook and systematically breed each buck to each doe and keep accurate records of size of litter, weight of litters at birth, # weaned and weight at weaning, weight at butcher. Then you can see which crosses result in the most meat for your table.

Oneacrefarm
wish i was this organized! hahaha

i know this is a bit of an older thread. but i'm curious how the litters went.
i have some dutch, cali, thrianta, and nz does i'll be crossing about to cali and NZ bucks. maybe some others.