No love on the farm

PipeCreekRanch

Just born
Reaction score
Just like the title says we are missing that loving feeling.

There is no hinting at love on the farm.

Mind you I know the goats are still young and I don't want them to get it on but shouldn't my buck show some interest

My buck /buckling (I have no idea what term is proper when) was born 1/19/2013.

My doe /doelings (again no idea whats proper!) Were born 3/22/2013 and 3/28/2013.

The buck shows NO interest at all in either of them!!

Shouldn't he at least be sniffing butts or something?!

He just hangs out like one of the girls!?!?!

Both Testes are there, uniform sac etc. Idk I am so confused.

He needs to straighten up I want to squeeze that dapple gene of his out of him and put it to good use!

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well what breed do you have? SOME breeds of goats are seasonal breeders. Meaning the normally only mate once a year, normally in the fall.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes a lot of them are seasonal breeders, plus from the dates you posted, the males are only 5 months old and the girls are only 3 months old? That is WAY too young to breed anyway. Don't worry about it and let them be babies! :D ;)

PipeCreekRanch

Just born
Reaction score
I raise Boer Goats.

I am not worried about having babies at all but I figured he'd at least be like "Hey ladies" and sniff at them or something!

All the other bucklings we had by 3 months were ready to rumble....

Maybe hes just more refined and a gentleman!

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your does are babies. They don't "smell good" to the bucks. Young bucks might act ready with older does but that's hormones working. Your does don't have them going on yet.

PipeCreekRanch

Just born
Reaction score
Ok I wondered if that was the fact that they are just to young.

That makes total sense! Thanks !! :)

I sold all our older girls earlier this year so that would explain why the other boys would act all manly..LOL

We keep them all together how when should I separate them? I do not want babies until they are at least a year old.

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
PipeCreekRanch said:

I sold all our older girls earlier this year so that would explain why the other boys would act all manly..LOL

We keep them all together how when should I separate them? I do not want babies until they are at least a year old.
I'd separate them now to be safe because at this age, the buck could get the does pregnant if he wanted to. I mean it's less likely at this age, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
TGreenhut said:
PipeCreekRanch said:

I'd separate them now to be safe because at this age, the buck could get the does pregnant if he wanted to. I mean it's less likely at this age, but I wouldn't take any chances.
x2

They may not be acting lovey but that is good and they should be separated until they are an appropriate age to carry a pregnancy.