Nobody Warned me?

MsPony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Goats are like potatoe chips, you can't have just one!!

We had over 100 :p

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We started at 2 and have 25 now but we have had as many 40 after kidding season. They are lots of fun but such rascals too!;)

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We started out with three and ended up with over 100. Only back then we were dumb and didn't know anything about quarantining new goats. We brought home some pink eye goats from the auction. Ever try to treat 100+ goats multiple times with eye drops? Boy did I ever learn a lesson. I kept goats for maybe two years after that and finally got fed up with them.

A few years later I got back into goats again, only this time with Boar goats. It didn't take me long to remember why I got rid of the other batch of goats in the first place.

By the way...I have NO goats now. I don't think you could force me to take a goat! I am getting sheep in April though. I am looking forward to a change. Goats are cute but man are they a pain in the butt!! lol!

Boondachs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So does this mean my grand plan of having 3 or 4 is just not going to work????? :lol:

How many goats can you fit on 2 acres anyway ;)

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am trying to talk my DH into getting more goats. LOL. I love them. Even my stinky boys. they are all awesome. Somehow someway they make me laugh everyday no matter how I am feeling.

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My biggest problem is figuring out how my 2 babies are getting ON TOP of the chicken coop!
Ok, that, and trying to keep them off the tops of the vehicles--hubby ever finds out those are goat hoof prints on his jeep and not cat prints...we are in a world of trouble...

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
By the way...I have NO goats now. I don't think you could force me to take a goat! I am getting sheep in April though. I am looking forward to a change. Goats are cute but man are they a pain in the butt!! lol!

:lol: That is TOOO funny! My husband used to work on a sheep farm, he just let me get some goats (yes the three have me addicted). He says NO SHEEP EVER! He was the one fixing fences and chasing down loose sheep and fetching the mean rams. I know goats can be the same way, but it is still funny how against sheep he is. I don't mind though. I don't want to deal with wool. If I got sheep, they would be hair sheep and then I might as well have goats :p

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I actually still have one of those pipe farm gates that is totally smooshed flat. ALL of the pipes are flat from my Boar billy bashing into it. I did chose a hair breed of sheep. I'll be starting a flock of registered Barbados Black Belly sheep. No horns means my gates won't suffer quite as much and my LGD will be safer. And Barbados don't need to be dewormed like goats do so that will be one less thing I'll have to worry about.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:

:lol: That is TOOO funny! My husband used to work on a sheep farm, he just let me get some goats (yes the three have me addicted). He says NO SHEEP EVER! He was the one fixing fences and chasing down loose sheep and fetching the mean rams. I know goats can be the same way, but it is still funny how against sheep he is. I don't mind though. I don't want to deal with wool. If I got sheep, they would be hair sheep and then I might as well have goats :p
That is sooo funny. I could have written the husband story, Our kids show sheep in 4H and I mentioned about buying a couple ewes and having them raise their own lambs, and he said he would divorce me first, before he ever worked with another ewe ever again. He had a flock of 30 when he was growing up. :D

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't find the goats to be a pain at all. Maybe it is breed specific?

Mine are not nasty at all and they haven't destroyed anything, and they wouldn't run away. In fact when I am working outside for a while. I open the gate and let them roam freely. They don't wander too far because they are too curious about what Im doing. And when I cant see them, I yell and they come running.
The bucks have horns, so if they do get too pushy I can pick them up by the horn and move them outa my way. If that doesn't work, a squirt of water does the trick.
I have one katahdin ewe and she is larger than my goats and a lot pushier!